2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

loud engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 05:15 AM
theycallmeBONG
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loud engine

my engine is the loudest thing i have ever heard. there has to be something wrong b/c i have never heard another dodge ram with an engine this noisy. i have flowmaster 40 series exhaust and when i rev it all i can hear is my engine. all you can hear is the fan spinning faster the higher the RPM's go and then the RPM's fall very slowly. i have no idea whats going on and no one i ask seems to know. all i get is if it drives just leave it alone. but there's something wrong and i want it fixed. any ideas?

Old 03-04-2006, 05:32 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: loud engine

define noisey? what kind of noise it? is it specific noise or duz it just sound like a race car reving out? there is a milion things that can make noise under the hood if you can narrow down the noise then i can try to help you out

Old 03-04-2006, 01:22 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

you know when you hear a brand new car running? well ya dont really... brand new engines purr almost silently... i know what you mean... my engine does it too..just not that loud.... i could be a number of things... with added mileage to the engine means added wear do all the accessories... ie. all the crap thats belt driven usually has bearings and they can wear out causing added ambient noise.... best thing to narrow down whast causing the most noise if getting a mechanics stethescope, or the old trick my grandpa tought me,, use a large screwdriver and putting the tip to the part and the handle to your ear, the screwdriver cunducts noise through it and lets you hear it better.. kinda ike putting a glass jar against the wall trying to hear whats going on in the other room....

a mechanics stethascopes are usually pretty cheep and you can get them at any autobone or advanced autojunk...youd be surprise by what you can hear with it

Old 03-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Batphreak
Veteran

If it's fan noise it could very well be the fan clutch. When those dies they tend to stick solid, then the fan is on all the time instead of just when the engine is too hot.

Old 03-04-2006, 01:38 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

that was my main problem and the reason why i went elec fan conversion... the motor is wicked quite now... all i can hear now is my accessories spnning and little bit if lifter taping

Old 03-04-2006, 07:55 PM
dflyboy
Professional

Id have to agree with batphreak. you said it sounds like the fan keeps spinning, it would be the fan clutch. Ive been in a couple friends trucks where they were so loud thats all you could hear. They replaced them and problem solved.

Old 03-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: shott8283

old trick my grandpa tought me,, use a large screwdriver and putting the tip to the part and the handle to your ear, the screwdriver cunducts noise through it and lets you hear it better.. kinda ike putting a glass jar against the wall trying to hear whats going on in the other room....
I thought I was the only one who did crap like that. Well it works.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Check the fan by spinning it with you hand if it spins it good if not you clutch is shot.

Old 03-05-2006, 03:34 AM
theycallmeBONG

well i got my fan clutch replaced last september when i bought truck and on a cold start th fan starts spinning. its on all the time. im thinking of going with the electric fans. i was told earlier today that the fan should be spinning all the time, and not just when the engine is too hot. how many of you have a ram that the fan isnt on all the time, and just comes on when it needs to? thanks for the info!

Old 03-05-2006, 06:35 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the fan is theromostatic so it shouldent be on all the time wen its cold it should free spin (turn a bit but not under truck poder and ittl fo a lot slower) check it on a cold day with the truck off ofcorce reach in there and try spining it and see what it duz. most pepoe say theres is on all the time so there cluches are bad, check this thread it was posted recientley about pepole and there fans https://dodgeforum.com/m_409218/tm.htm

Old 03-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

did you notice any increase in performance with electric fans?

Quick Reply: loud engine