2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

UPDATE: Please Look...Strange rattling/knocking/squeking noise from front end

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 05:36 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Strange rattling/knocking/squeking noise from front end

well im not gonna tell you you half yo reuse the nut thats upto you...however i will say ive had mine on and off 4 or 5 times and its still the origonal did you check to make shure the wheel berrings were bad? jack up the tire and see if you can wiggle it top to bottem?

Old 03-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Chopper1
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know about everyone else, but I would do some quick checks before diving into real work.

Jack up the truck by the suspension (so the load is similar to on the road), Grab the top and bottom of the tire and try to rock it in and out/up and down. Try it at various angles and see if there is any slack. The tire sould be as solid as when it is on the ground with the exception of the side to side lossness form the steering. I have not had a bearing go bad without there being some slack in the wheel. If it is bad enough to rattle you should see the wheel tilt outward slightly as it leaves the floor. Watch it as the wheel goes up.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:55 AM
Sehr916
Veteran

Okay, the update is:

Today i lifted the truck (by the frame) to look at the brakes etc. Back to the issue of the wheel bearings, I noticed when i spun the wheels there seemed to be some resistence and a slight noise like rubbing. Is that the bearings? Do they need to be greased? How would you grease the wheel bearings on a 2000 ram with the weird hub/bearing? My only other thought is that the brakes were grabbing and i am hallucianating. Thanks for reading

Old 03-27-2006, 01:37 AM
Sam!
Professional

loose or worn loose wheel bearings, Lift truck front end and secure leave wheel on- grab bottom of wheel and top and see if you feel movement while you rock it slowly (thats top to bottom). this should be solid any movement will indicate something is loose and need further inspection get a helper too look for at what point the movement starts. if its just the rotor that moves yeah it the wheel bearings, no movement, check for a loose caliper or a brake pad thats falling out of it's giude or even the pad is falling of it's backing plate.
well hope this helps and not confuse you with my explanation

Old 03-27-2006, 09:56 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Do you have one of those plastic wheel center pieces that move around. Kind of like a rock in a hubcab, but plastic. Longshot.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Sehr916
Veteran

Are you talking about the little plastic cone shaped thing with the Dodge logo? If so, I do have that. I still hear the noise when at a stop light though. The truck hasnt been lubed in a while (im working on it) so could it be something with the steering or the ball joints not being lubed? The other thing I am thinking it could be is this... TSB Anyone know how difficult this could be? Thanks for the continued help.

Old 03-28-2006, 03:03 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

you hear and knocking noise from the front end even at a red light?? maybe a worn engine mount or tranny mount.. i'd go threw and check ever little bar and peice of metal under the front end of your truck

Old 03-28-2006, 03:40 AM
Sehr916
Veteran

One of the weird things about this that has puzzled me the most is that it doesn't happen when the truck is first started or when I first start driving

Old 03-28-2006, 11:13 AM
Chopper1
All Star

If you hear it at a stoplight than it will not be in the suspension, and someone should be able to narrow it down while sitting still.

The next question is will the noise go away if you put the truck in neutral or park. If so than there is possibly something rattling from a rough idle. Bracket, plastic cover, motor mount, Is there noticable motor vibration in gear verses neutral/park. TUNE UP, VACCUUM LEAK.

If it rattles in gear and or park, then you Need to find!!!! Would listen for lifter tick, or other engine sounds.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Sehr916
Veteran

Thanks a lot chopper. I hear it at stoplights and moving. I will check to see if it does it in neutral reverse and park. Could you check out the link to that TSB i posted and check to see if that might be it? What exactly is lifter tick and what does it sound like? Thanks a lot!

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Please Look...Strange rattling/knocking/squeking noise from front end