2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

odd RPM change all of a sudden-UPDATE on the UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 11:55 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: odd RPM change all of a sudden

well just got back from the parts stores and dodge.... for a torque converter from dodge (updated revision version) is 219 pluss a 100 core... i could start with that first... the 2 solenoids... the TCC and the OD come as the same unit and are 109... im not sure what i wanna do yet... what im thinking is i could change the solenoids and tc and see if that works... if that does the trick or atleast buys me some more time on the tranny then good to go..... if not then ill just go ahead and buy a bulletproof tranny from aps or ramzilla ... im just not sure of the logistics of the deal... as far as where to get it shipped to and i cant even begin to imagine the shipping charge for an entire tranny...

i just got done test driving it too... i got it up to about 65 70 in 3rd with the OD off ... hit the OD button to have it shift into OD and if laggs for a second and i can actually feel it shift... i see the change in RPMs ... just the entire ratio of rpms-speed is really high...most noticeable in OD.. that and the 1740 code im getting would leave to me beleive that the solenoids are bad... on top of that im thinking that paper lining in the torque converter has come apart and clogged up some of the internals in the vavle body... i wont know untill i drop the pan... still pondering if i wanna take the task on or just bite the bullet and pay someone to work on my truck... witch i hate doing

Old 03-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Chopper1
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would tend to agree with what racing fan is saying about the OD. The torque converter will only jump the RPM's a few hundred. I run with OD off all the time until I get my new gears installed and run around 28-3000 RPM at 75 MPH. The converter may be affecting the OD somehow but for whatever reason the OD is not staying in. When I hit the OD button while going down the highway the converter unlocks momentarily until it realizes where it should be, then locks back in. I used to do this before I stopped using the OD all together on the highway to get the extra RPM's to get around someone. I don't know what would trigger/stop the OD from working, but it sounds like that is the issue.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:54 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

I would first take it to the dealer or tranny shop an have them do a stall test on the converter. I cost me about $50 to have mine checked when my truck thru the P1740 code

Old 03-09-2006, 04:25 PM
shott8283

alright... took your guys advice.. pretty much biting the big one here and paying for it to get a total rebuild on it... i went and spoke to a good tranny shop near my town... as soon as i said dodge ram he laughed and said "we know exactly what to do" and i didnt even get a chance to tell him whats wrong and he started spitting numbers and words like you wouldnt beleive.... i figured he was just trying to talk me up but i understood most of everything he was saying... for some reason kinda gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling about it... anyway... automatacilly they are going to pull the tranny (after a stall test but him and i are 99% postive it will fail the test) go through it and take a good look at everything... he's gonna install and aftermarket tranny cooler and a mild transgo shift for me... he quoted me no more then 1900 ... i told him if he thinkgs its gonna get close to 2000 or more then call me b/c for 2000 i can get a brand new tranny w/ shift put in... so.. later today the rollback will be here to pick it up for me... didnt want to drive it anymore in fear of breaking more internals... and he said i could possible have it back tomorow evening or sat morning... ill keep you guys updated..

Old 03-09-2006, 05:08 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

YES, LET US KNOW HOW YOU MAKE OUT

Old 03-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

I'm Sorry!!!! [sm=boohoo.gif] Hey are you gonna have the tranny shop put in a shift kit also?? Let me know what they find out. I've lost 2 trannys and I'm always looking for more input on them. You are gonna have a new truck before long![sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 03-09-2006, 11:18 PM
shott8283

no kiddin dude... i keep telling myself my truck is putting out some serious HP and that the stocker worn tranny couldnt keep up

yea they are installing a mild trans go .. and a aux tran cooler... they are calling me tomorow with more solid numbers...

im just nervous... if i get jacked on this deal im seriously gonna blow my lid... the guy pretty much got the idea that i know what im talkina botu i just didnt wanna do the tranny work myself... like in the event that i suspect that the transgo didnt go in... then ill look at the TV cable.. certain adjustments to the TV cable would give the tranny characterstics of a shift kit...

im gonna "pop" in the shop tomorow unexpectedly and see what he thinkgs and says and ask if i can take a look at the tranny just for learning situations... im gonna see if i can get the extra parts from the transgo ... witch im kinda shocked that he apperently has in stock... anywho

we will see..regardless i get a 12 month 12000 mile warrenty .. im gonna beat the SNOT outa the tranny when i get it back (after proper break in if i get new bands etc etc)

ill keep ya guys posted!

Old 03-10-2006, 08:30 PM
shott8283

alright fellas... heres the damage

total: 2,027.43

the break down

new 46RE: 1,220
new torquefly torque converter: 165
14 qt's of tran fluid: 37
aux tranny cooler: 160
labor: 300

comes to 1882

then tax 145

got a new tranny new TC new aux cooler (larger then stock)

the shop i took it too is the only one in my county ... and are really well known for there work..but a bit pricey... the manager/owner ended being a friend of the family that i didnt know of and treated me really really well

the mechanic that did the work has worked there since 1989 and has worked on EVERY dodge transmision (especially the 2gen tranny problems) ... i thought to my self whatever then the guy showed me the books and i just browsed through them and he wasnt joking...

he ended up not putting in a trango like i wanted.. main reason is they ended up not having the one for my tranny in stock... and another reason is that the mechanic said that it wouldnt be a good idea to install a shift kit in a brand new non broken in tranny... he said if i still want one that i would be a better idea to come back after 1000 miles or so... and he would put one in for me for not that much cost of labor ..just parts...

but what he DID do... (i talked to the machanic himself) is he did do the work to the vavlebody that results in the pump activated during P .. the new tourqe convert that when in is the 3rd revision.. what this means is that it eliminated the paper lining that breaks up prematurely and clogges the cooler .. the new revised ones have a thicker rubber matting for hte lining..

results:

thing drives like a dream... shifts great.. RPM's are back to where they need to be... feels smooth....noticed a little odd quirckey shifts spiratically.. assuming since it only has about 100 miles on it sor far (went for a nice little trip with the wife after i picked it up)it still needs a nice break in time... none of the quirky shifts are constant so im not too worried about it... the new tranny and the work done to it came with a 12 month 12000 mile warranty so that really eases my mind alot... its a good warrenty..nothing will come out of my pocket from now till the warranty is up.. pretty pleased... the price tag on the bill really choked the ole acount so now shotty has to slow down to a complete halt on the mods for a long time... SOB! anyway... atleast its reliable now ... kinda ease of mind now... but a$$ still kinda hurts from the bill though!!!!!

Old 03-11-2006, 01:15 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well glad you got your baby back so did you get a bran new tranny then and a bran new Tc (not a rebuilt tranny) if so what did you do what the old one? did you get a core back for it... sounds like a good job all round though but yah that would about empty the mod budget for a long while if it were me... is the tranny an oem replacement or an aftermarket up grade i’m just wondering if this new tranny could passably give you troubles like the rams are famous for

Another spell checked post for BFG lol

Old 03-11-2006, 01:27 AM
shott8283

its brand new.. as far as i know..they kept the old one and credited me the core charge so the tranny i "paid" for was a bit cheeper...

its an OEM tranny and OEM tc... the mech made mods to the vavle body so it will flow fluid while the shifter is in Park... and the new TC is the revised model with the rubber lining instead of the paper lining

Quick Reply: odd RPM change all of a sudden-UPDATE on the UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!