2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

odd RPM change all of a sudden-UPDATE on the UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 01:18 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default odd RPM change all of a sudden-UPDATE on the UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

well if its not one thing its another right?

driving to school tonight. (and back home 3 hours later) ,,normally at a good 75 MPH down a smooth freeway my rpms are normally between 2200 and 2300 almost on the dot... all of a sudden today... im driving 60 mph and my rpms are up close to 3000... this just started all of a sudden... i thought maybe my programing got erased (not sure how) so i remeasure my tires and reprogramed the computer and it was doing the same thing... its almost like im not even in OD... i searched for converter problems and most of them described a fluctuation in RPM of a few hundred RPM's in an up and down manner.... this is constant... kinda like all of a sudden someone stuck 20 inch TIRES and 10 inch rims on the truck..as apposed to my 265's (30.5 inches). really really weird..not sure what could have gone bad THAT quickley....

the only other thing i have noticed.. say that im driving 60 mph and i let off the gas... the engine starts to slow me down (like normal..coasting to a stop) and if i start to lay on the gas pedel every so slightley and i get right in there where the engine is spinning faster then what im going and not fast enough to engage the tranny to start propelling me down the road...right in that "sweet spot" ( if i can call it that) i get a strange humming/virbrating/grinding noise... its REALLY hard to explain this feeling...i really feel it in the floor boards through my feet...

well any ideas would be great... 94thou on the tranny and no probles yet knock on wood...

Old 03-09-2006, 03:19 AM
shott8283
Default RE: odd RPM change all of a sudden

no one?

Old 03-09-2006, 03:26 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

almost sounds like your tc isent locking up

Old 03-09-2006, 03:29 AM
shott8283

man i wish i knew more about trannys and converters

i read the TC is saposed to lock up in certain situations in 3rd and almost all the time in 4th.. .. so what makes a TC lock? a seleniod?

Old 03-09-2006, 03:42 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

yah there is a tc lockup silonoide i dont know that much about thiem ither lol

Old 03-09-2006, 04:07 AM
shott8283

aaaahhhh crap...just went down and checked the codes... no CEL but i got two codes.. one is for the coil b/c of the MSD .. just need a tach adapter... but the other one is a 1740... man.. figures right? now i go search

Old 03-09-2006, 04:20 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker

yep the dreaded 1740...lol tcc or o/d solienoid perf, maby your lucky and its just the o/d solienoid gone bad are you shure it was going into o/d?

Old 03-09-2006, 05:12 AM
shott8283

man reading all that crap about the symtoms im doubting myself even if it was going into OD or not... im not sure where to start first... im gonna drive it one time tomorow and thats to do that little test.. kick it in and out of OD and see if i can tell... the crappy thing is that it seams to have symptoms of the TC bad the TCC solenoid is bad and the OD solenoid is bad... i wish there was a tranny master in here to guide me.... i can replace the TC... but im sketchy on replacing anything in the tranny pan that has to do with the vavle body... im taking off of school tomorow and driving the wife to work so i can make some fone calls...

if anyone has a good idea to start in the mean time lemme know... kinda hard to get a good answer out of all the forums i searched on

Old 03-09-2006, 06:58 AM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your getting a grinding vibrating noise it sound like the torque converter. I have the same problem and haven't had time to fix it. If I remember right the solenoids are on the bottom of the valve body. My brother is no tranny expert and a few months ago he had to replace his solenoids in the dark and I don't think he had ever even been in the tranny pan on his truck before then. Usualy when the tcc locks and unlocks the rpms don't change much more than 250rpms and with it unlocked when you accelerate you will notice the rpms climb faster when in od. To test it I would turn the od off and get up to around 60mph then turn it on and see if it shifts. If not then you are looking at almost $350 for all 3 solenoids and if that doesn't fix the grinding noise you are looking at almost another $400 for a tcc. Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Racinfan83
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you are going to like what I have to say.......[sm=boohoo.gif] I would guess your converter went bad and the overdrive unit is burnt up. The 3000rpm thing tells me that the tranny is not shifting into overdrive. Kinda like letting off the gas in 3rd gear on a 4 speed manual tranny....in 4th you don't notice the engine braking effect as much. I hope I'm wrong cause I know you have spent a lot of loot on the truck lately. You don't have any of the 7/70k powertrain warranty left do you?

Quick Reply: odd RPM change all of a sudden-UPDATE on the UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!