2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bed removal..

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:58 PM
rogerdoger
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bed removal..

so from another post i started about my fuel pump crapping out,,, im thinking i may just remove the box.. or kinda slide it back so i have accsess to the pump....
my question is... and it might be stupid but am i able to remove the box if i have a box liner.... (will the box liner be covering the bolt heads, or are they accessible from the underside?) or do i have to yank the box liner out....

also if i do this.... I guess i will first have to disconnect the filler hose right???

anything else that might be strapped to the box like any fuel lines?

im considering this option because my tank is right freakin full and im no sure where I would put all that gas?
thanks

Old 03-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran
Default RE: bed removal..

If I remember right you need to take the bed liner out to get to the box bolts, and disconnect the filler hoses, plus disconnect the brake lights. You may want to take the tailgate off as well, the box weighs a ton!

I'd just drain and drop the tank, much simpler

Old 03-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Chopper1
All Star

I picked mine up to install a body lift and the only other item that I know of is the wiring. Most of the stuff runs down the frame rails until it gets to the back. Check under to see if any wires or hoses are strapped to it.

Just a note for anyone to check!!!! The brake line is prone to rusting behind the gas tank. If ever in area working, check it out!!!! Mine broke loose/split at an intersection. Luckily I was going slow enough to hit the park brake and try to push the pedal through the floor for some front brakes. Should have seen the guy in the Honda accords face. Priceless... Missed by 1-2 feet.

Old 03-13-2006, 03:12 PM
rogerdoger
Professional

drop the drain??? is there a drain plug in the tank or do i have to syphon out?
thanks

Old 03-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

umm................ I ment drop the tank OOPSY!!!

yeah, you will have to syphon

Old 03-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Chopper1
All Star

When installing the body lift the bedliner stayed in on mine. The bolts came up from the bottom. Took some inquiring, the dealer recomends tightening the body and bed bolts to 60ft.lbs. Too bad I had already tightened/wrestled mine to 90

Old 03-13-2006, 03:21 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

I couldnt remember, I must have been thinking of the ranger than, those come up through the bed

OOPSY again

Old 03-13-2006, 05:20 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Dropping the tank is MUCH quicker when changing the fuel pump

Read Steve's DIY here: https://dodgeforum.com/m_402587/tm.htm

It's up to you on what would be worth it though. If you could find a few gas cans, it would definitely be easier to remove enough to get it below 1/2 and drop the tank.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

No need to remove the bedliner. All the bolts (4 I think) on the bed are accessable from the bottom. When I did my body lift thats all I had to do. Pulling the bed is probably more of a pain then droping the tank. Yes you ahve to remove the filler hoses (also did this when doing body lift) and don't forget about your brake light wires and stuff.

Kinda a PITA

Old 03-13-2006, 11:38 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you have a box liner take it out cut a hole in the floor of the box, fix the pump then put the piece you cut out back in and put the liner back in.....now thats the easest way i think but thats if you wanna cut a hole thow i had a buddy do it that way (the 2nd time he had to change it becuse the first one he put in craped out after a cupple months and he was pissed off at it) personally id just drop the tank thow the hole may be covered but you will always know its there

Quick Reply: bed removal..