2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

just want to make sure

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:44 PM
rogerdoger
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just want to make sure

ok so looks like i will be dropping the gas tank to change my fuel pump..... but before i go and by a 480$ fuel pump i want to make sure that is for sure the problem....

i turn the key to ignition and i hear no hum from the fuel pump...

i turn the key and it just cranks and cranks..... i step on the gas while doing this and it does not make a difference.....

is there a chane the relay for the fuel pump went... This is located in the fuse box under the hood right.....?

I would just hate to go to all that trouble to change it and then realize that it was not the pump...

i mean for all i know i may not be getting any spark... however the night it happend i tapped on the fuel tank a few times... and it turned over sputtered and died.. I tryed banging on it again this am but it dont do anything.....

Old 03-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran
Default RE: just want to make sure

if you want to check all that stuff first go buy a 15 dollar relay for the fuel pump and check that first, than to check for spark pull one of the plugs out, lay it up against the block and have someone turn the truck over and watch for the spark (leave it hooked up to the plug wire)

You can always try pouring some gas into the airbox, if it starts its the fuel pump.

Ive had mixed results with that, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt, but thats what I would try first

Old 03-14-2006, 12:12 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Even better, before you go buy a relay swap in one you know is good like the hern relay

Also to check spark go buy a $5 Spark Tester, looks like a spark plug put has a clip on it so you can clip it on a ground and if your getting spark, you'll clearly be able to see it. They're very useful and work on any car.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:38 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yea before you waste your money on a new relay...just take one relay that looks identical to the fuelpump relay..like socha said... if it works then go buy the relay... if no dice... then id suspect the relay... also check the fuze too...i think theres one for the pump...but im not positive...wouldnt hurt to take a looksee!

Quick Reply: just want to make sure