2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I want to lift my truck, idk whats involved

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to lift my truck, idk whats involved

ok im looking at either 3 or 4 inch suspension, what one do i get, which requires least fabrication, i wanna just jack it up, bolt it on, and drive away...

so what am i lookin for, btw anyone ever heard of trailmaster?

Old 03-14-2006, 11:39 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I want to lift my truck, idk whats involved

well if you stick to 3 in and under its pretty easy, coil spacers in the front blocks in the rear and maby new shocks however over 3 inches you is where you need to change out your stearing arm, trac bar ect whitch makes it more expensive and more difficult

Old 03-14-2006, 11:42 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

k ty, im going spacers and aal

Old 03-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Two60s98
Professional

Just did a 5" lift on a white Sport the other day. The only thing I didn't like about the kit was the rear blocks (in addition to the factory ones, and redrilling a new tracbar hole). The new hole let him reuse the factory tracbar. I would have sprung for an aftermarket adjustable one. Came out nice with the 35" Truxus MTs. I'll see if I can post up a pic.

Old 03-15-2006, 12:12 PM
Two60s98
Professional

Here's a few pics. Before and after, and then sitting beside my 2500. Used to be small, but now it's better. I'm thinking it's the Rough Country kit, but not 100% sure. It was all just remove and replace, with the exception of the tracbar bracket redrill. Lifts aren't hard... just takes patience sometimes. Having a few guys to help out makes things easier. Oh, the lower control arm front bolts didn't want to budge very easily. Took some effort, and I think we ended up using a air chisel tool to help.

I'd recommend spraying all effected fasteners a few days out with PB blaster or WD-40, and respray daily until lift day. This will help in getting the hardware loose.

Okay, here's the pics....

Before:

After...

And sitting beside my 2500... the 5" kit really boosts the stance alot. Much better now...

Old 03-15-2006, 01:48 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

two60s98- you said you had to drill a new track bar bracket hole for the five inch. im lookin at a three inch from rough country and no where does it mention having to drill a new hole. is it the height difference? (3inches vs 5 inches) or do you think the website is just leaving out that part of the instructions?

Old 03-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Chopper1
All Star

I used a 3" Rancho Sport Kit.

Dodge Sport Systems: Feature Rancho's unique spring pocket extensions, lower links, and Add-A-Leafs with shim plates(1500) only). Designed for the economically minded enthusiast to add optional components to upgrade to performance system features.

It uses the 3" spacers on top of the springs and replaces the lower suspension arm with a boxed one up front.
It uses an add-a-leaf in the rear. The part I like about the add-a-leaf is that it increased my rear load capacity. No more squat with a trailer or trip from Lowes.
Installed the system by myself over the weekend.
The only bad point is that the truck rides like a buck board. Not sure if it is from the RS5000 shocks or the polyurathane bushings up front.
The 3" body lift was even easier. Just needed a buddy to help with the bumpers and to lift the bed while I slid in the spacers.

Quick Reply: I want to lift my truck, idk whats involved