2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Raising a 4x2 ? (Pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 06:17 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Raising a 4x2 ?

ORIGINAL: crazy1snow
just curious (and ever so slightly sarcastic) but does the 5.2 even have enough power to turn the 33's???
I have 33s (Firestone Radial ATXs...pre Wilderness Line [:-]) on my 79 Ramcharger (with an olllllld 318 in it). They've been on there since my dad bought the truck in '88. It's a full time 4wd truck and it's never had any trouble turning (and spinning) them. It's also been used for plowing snow since 1990. [8D]

Old 03-16-2006, 07:36 AM
MGDMike
Champion

Nice truck!! I don't have a 4x4 either, but I'm gradually just trying to make into some type of stylish horsepower ride without alot of bling. Wish you all the luck! Cool ideas everyone!

Old 03-16-2006, 10:19 AM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

Thanks for all the ideas. Yeah I am having an issue with gasoline right now, but since ive been driving ive always had issues. I've always owned a truck since i got my license (even tho i owned a chevy, but hey its better than a rice burner!). I think I'm gonna just tuck some 20's or 22's under there and maybe drop it 2 inches in the rear to level it out? (I know for chevy's that the rear end of the truck is 2 inches higher, not sure about dodges tho, gotta look in the manual i suppose). MGDMIKE, thats a nice clean ride man! I think I'm prolly gonna do the same with this truck, Just a stylish, loud, powerhouse (eventually getting the 50mm Fastman TB and CAI, then the hypertech... Does anyone know if you have to reprogram the 'puter after putting on the TB? Haven't ever worked on these newer vehicles, I'm used to OBDI and prior (carburated)

Old 03-16-2006, 11:27 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Haha man I totaly didn't read inside the parenthesis, so I deleted the whole post

Oh yeah, I don't blame him for wanting a small lift and 33's. If I had a rwo wheel drive I would probably wanna do the same thing. Give it just enough lift to look like a 4x4.

Oh yeah, as for the DodgeForum sticker they were giving them away a while back and as far as I know they don't have anymore but them might be doing it again soon, gonna have to ask Amanda.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:54 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

Sharp ride, to bad its not a 4x4

Ive got the dodge forum license plate holder

I'll sell it shipped to you for $150

Old 03-16-2006, 02:10 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

150?! ITS A DEAL!!!

Yep, my babys getting a(nother) wax job today, that is if the strep throat would ever die out [:'(]
btw im not too fond of the body lifts, ive heard horror storys of people riding it pretty rough and the bumps tearing through the body!

I also need a job, I have 500 left to my name and by god if i didn't have a significant other telling me otherwise, It wouldve been spent on the truck! lol!

Old 03-16-2006, 02:49 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Actually the body lift spacers sit on the same places the factory bushings do. They just stack. I'm sure that if you put a home made one like people used to do with 12" bolts, something will give. As far as the ride, it does not change the suspension so there is no change. Unless it is a home made system and you yank out the stock rubber bushings.
The bumper bracket on the front required trimming about a 1/4" off the edge of the frame edge for good fitment. 5 minutes with a portaband.
The rear bumper is not that bad. Most people just don't take the time. Take the bumper brackets off with the bumper still attached, Raise it up to the desired height, mark and drill 1 new hole through the frame for the bracket, and bolt in place. Now use the bracket holes to drill a couple more. I only did three since I use a receiver to tow with.
The exhaust will change in appearance though. Good time for new tail pipes.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29187/46BA1FB2566442519A7A0CA9175AEB00.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-17-2006, 07:04 PM
livinginh
Veteran

Me myself dont recomend or even like body lifted trucks, never could understand why people did it. I know it is a cheap way to get more lift, but also not the safest idea. Any time you move the body farther away from the frame you are asking for trouble. I have seen trucks do just fine this way and I have seen trucks shear the bolts right off. It is a matter of choice and budjet I guess. I would go with the suspention lift, there are a couple out there for less then $200 or just over. If you need a lift that bad go that way. Remember all this is (jimo), not to offend anyone who uses a body lift. Good luck

Old 03-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I think if you get an actual kit and do the body lift you should be okay, I have been so far. Its when people start riging 2x4's and hockey pucks under there when trouble starts. I don't remember what my body lift came with, grade 5 or grade 8. 8 is of course much stronger but the 5's will bend a bit more and take some of the shocks.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:05 AM
radwebster
Captain

ORIGINAL: Socha_62

I think if you get an actual kit and do the body lift you should be okay, I have been so far. Its when people start riging 2x4's and hockey pucks under there when trouble starts. I don't remember what my body lift came with, grade 5 or grade 8. 8 is of course much stronger but the 5's will bend a bit more and take some of the shocks.
i've been looking at 3" body lifts, looks like most of em come with grade 5 hardware.

i was just concerned with the extas needed, maybe the guys with the body lift can help...
did you need a steering extender?
fuel filler needs to be moved?
auto trans shifter needs to be adjusted/parts added?

thanks, sorry if i jacked the thread

Quick Reply: Raising a 4x2 ? (Pics inside)