2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

steering locks up/binding

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 11:33 PM
radwebster
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering locks up/binding

just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone had a similar problem. when driving, my steering has a sticking point when the wheels are pointed a bit to the right. it feels like its binding somewhere. when its stopped and not moving, you cannot steer past this point.
i looked underneath and it doesn't look like anything is hitting anything else.

also, i dont know if it is related or not, but my front wheels have a crazy amount of negative camber. its very easy to see that they are very tilted. my front tires has worn very badly as a result. the inside edges are down to metal. i am hoping an alignment will take care of it, but it is pretty extreme...are the ball joints eccentricly mounted? is that the alignment point, or did i miss something?
could these problems be related?
thanks for any input

Old 03-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Chopper1
All Star
Default RE: steering locks up/binding

Check and see if the whell bearing is worn/loose..

Old 03-18-2006, 01:00 AM
tjtim

Sounds like you have a bad spot in the front stablizer shock, when I replaced mine the old one would stick at times when moving the rod in and out, as for your other issue, could be a number of things bad wheel bearings, bad ball joints, or even the adjustment on the front control arm bolts may be out of whack.....hope that info helps ya some...

Tim.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:57 AM
radwebster
Captain

ORIGINAL: tjtim

Sounds like you have a bad spot in the front stablizer shock, when I replaced mine the old one would stick at times when moving the rod in and out, as for your other issue, could be a number of things bad wheel bearings, bad ball joints, or even the adjustment on the front control arm bolts may be out of whack.....hope that info helps ya some...

Tim.
can i pop the front shock off and drive around a bit to see if thats the problem? all that shock is going to do is prevet the steering wheel from deflecting when hitting a ridge or something, correct?

Old 03-19-2006, 02:37 AM
MikeNAmyS
Professional

Mine hasn't bound up, but driving on the highway it just has a tight feeling here and there which makes me drift back and forth in my lane. I know you get some movement with a straight axle, but not this much.
I already disconnected the stabilizer shock with no change.
Mine is the off road so not sure if they did something different with the ratio in the steering box.

Quick Reply: steering locks up/binding