2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sell or Repair??

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 12:33 PM
naplespete
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sell or Repair??

Recently two big items have surfaced on my Ram 1500 2000.

First when I attempt passing gear the tranny appears to shift into neutral and wind out real high. Kind of embarassing actually. Whazzup with that?

Second my brake light came on for no reason whatsoever. Brakes are strong AND the fluid is good. Whazzup with that?

Have only had truck for 3 months and more repairs than I think I should have had. Love the look of the truck and everything but I am worried that it is going to nickle and dime me from now on.

Kind of need some reassurance or advice here.

Any help would be appreciated

Old 03-19-2006, 03:08 PM
CopperDesigno
Professional
Default RE: Sell or Repair??

The brake light could mean an issue with the ABS computer. I wold chekc the level of fluid int he master cyclinder and if that is OK, I would figure out how to pull the code from the computer for that light.

Old 03-19-2006, 03:20 PM
MikeNAmyS
Professional

If you can , pull the wheels and check the brake lining.
ABS light on too?

Old 03-19-2006, 04:27 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

I would definetly check the e-brake sensor/plunger or whatever these trucks have. My g/f's CRV had the brake light on and the dealership had to replace that sensor, it just went bad, shouldnt be too much money.

As for the transmission, uhh... Well i dont know =/. As someone mentioned above ,try to pull the codes and see whats up, maybe a vacuum line? (I dont know much about transmissions, how many miles do you have on it right now?).

Yeah older vehicles can nickle and dime you to DEATH! Thats why I got rid of my old truck and got myself a newer one.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:46 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional

If the abs and the brake light are on I would bet it is the speed sensor in your rear differential. It is a very common problem and easy to fix. The tranny problem I'm not sure about ram does this every now and then when I punch it at around 70mph and it tries to drop into 2nd gear instead of 3rd. This has been going on for about 50,000miles and haven't figured it out yet.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Maybe the TV cable on the TB slipped or moved somehow? I dunno though about the trans issue [&:] Might be a trans rebuild in the near future.

Old 03-20-2006, 04:57 AM
rogerdoger
Professional

dont sell... , this is one of the nicest looking trucks out there.......

Now i have put almost 10k in repairs in my truck... 6k of that was under warenty but still, i have replaced motor three times, and a ton of other stuff.... the only think that isnt new is the tranny. (still the same one Kock on wood)

I love my truck... its my baby... i love it more then anything

repair all the way

p.s thats just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Sell or Repair??