2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lifting the rear bench seat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 04:04 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting the rear bench seat?

Has anyone lifted their rear bench seat to accomodate for speakers? I want to cram 2 12's under the back seat and know theres a way but I want to hear what yall have done to lift it. I plan on building a custom downfiring box to house 2 or 3 12's.

Thanks!

Old 03-20-2006, 04:14 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Lifting the rear bench seat?

ive lifted about 3 rear bench seats to accomodate larger subs... i started out using just plane ole cut up 2X4 blocks .. i think the last one i did i used steel blocks with rubber bushings... raised it up between 4 to 6 inches ..whatever you need.. the farther you raise it up the longer youll have to make the female end of the seat belt buckles... i raise one bench up in a ford about 4 inches and had to lengthen the seat belt buckle about 2 inches so it still goes through the seat... you gotta becarefull doing htis b/c if you rig it up crappy ..lives are at risk.. IIRC one bench i raised i went up 4 inches and didnt have to lengthen the belts that ancor the buckles to the cab... its up to you.. not really ahrd to do it. if you carry people on that bench..raise it up and test it out before buidling the box for it... too high will obvously be uncomfortable... then again you can take that rear bench out and fit 10 15's in there and run 10000 watts...

id stick with 2 12's when you go odd numbers of drivers its hard to tune them to work togehter...im tone deff so anytmie i did/do a system im retarded when it comes to tuning it... you may be better at it.. you could go with 2 12's and have them a big larger..say 1500 watt max subs... alpine type r's or type x's would be NASTY in that back of that ram... or kicker subs would kick *** (no pun intended)

on a downfire .. or blowdown box .. youll get better frequency resonse if you use a peice of 3/4 MDF or 1/4 or 1/2 inch plexi as a face for the bass to bounce off of... youll notice a night and day difference when the subs blow against carpet and when they blow against something rigid to let the sound bounce off of... just amke sure you comensate for the travel,, or excursion of the cone for the subs..id be a shame to have them subs bounceing against what ever is underneath them...

any questions hollar at me.. ive been an installer for some years now.. www.the12volt.com has ALOT of information on car audio and car convience as far as wiring and ideas... good bunch of guys over there... love ya help ya out!

Old 03-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Chopper1
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did you do about the clips on the back of the seat below the window that hold the back in place????

Old 03-20-2006, 04:37 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

one ram i did i just left the old ones in place and rigged up some new ones out of bent steel... worked out..kinda tricky to get them ingaged... another i took off the panel on the back and moved them up to where they need to be..corolation 2 inch raise then teh hookes go up 2 inches... and another one i didnt even mess with them .. the owner didnt want them moved or didnt want me to hack them up..i told him if he hits tbe brakes hard enough that the back of the bench could come down..he said he wasnt worried about it...needless to say he came back to the shop 2 weeks later and i fixed it.. you got a few options when doing it...

Quick Reply: Lifting the rear bench seat?