2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

recommended vs. suggested vs. needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:07 PM
pklinger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommended vs. suggested vs. needed

Two items. Took the truck in to have some brake work done and they gave me a list of items they "recommend or suggest" to be done that totaled close to $2000. What exactly does this mean. Is it a ploy for me to spend more money? One of the things they mentioned or recommended is that I need a new heater core. This could be true. When I turn on the heat I do get the anitfreeze smell and a while back some brown leakage did occur it seems from the floor vent. They quote a little of $500 for parts and labor. Is this reasonable?

Truck does have 103,000 miles on it.

Thanks for the help.

Old 03-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: recommended vs. suggested vs. needed

What were their other recommendations or suggestions?

Old 03-21-2006, 09:16 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

Umm, if you dont want to run the heater for the rest of the time you have the truck then you dont need it =D

500 dollars seems reasonable, but if i were you, i would do the stuff myself and say screw labor...

If your leaking brown radiator fluid i would suggest replacing that too...

at 103000 miles on it you might need a new waterpump, and since your in need of a radiator fluid change i would change that out too (since you need to drain radiator fluid anyways). Also change out your thermostat (a lower temp one if you wish)...

Just my 2 cents

Old 03-21-2006, 09:28 PM
pklinger

The list dealing with the heater core pretty much contains what Justin previous listed. Heater core $517, Water Pump $303, Upper Heater Hose $79, T-stat $87, Coolant service $70.

Water pump T-sat, coolant... I figure I can do. The only thing I have never replaced on any vehicle is a heater core. How tough is it? I'm pretty good with a screwdriver, Crescent, and ball peen hammer.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Ramsrush
Professional

Those look like dealer prices to me.Most folks are afraid to work on their car or just unwilling to.These trucks are not that hard to work on. You can do it.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:04 AM
Chopper1
All Star

If you can handle a screwdriver, Crescent, and ball peen hammer, you're good. Beer and a smoke and your done.

Old 03-22-2006, 12:11 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

chopper is right... beer and tabaco products will get you through all of these maintence items...

and thats a LOAD of BULL**** .. 87 dollars for a friggen tstat replacement? dude id do ALL that work for ya for a case a beer and a few cans of copenhagen longcut!!!.. you live near western ny? .. damn its a shame that they charge that damn much..i guess the mechanics gotta eat...and the owners of the place have to drive a benz.... you could easly spend 500 bux for all the parts (including a new radiatore) and save yourself 1500 bux.... i hate it when i see people get ripped off at shops... thats why i do as much work on family and friends cars as i can.. i dont accept money but they insist so i register at Sears and they buy me tools.... cant argue with that!!!

Old 03-22-2006, 12:18 AM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

Hell buy me a case of beer and a carton of smokes and I'll drive to NY to help u with that =D

and OMG, those prices are INSANE!!!! 80+ dollars for a T stat? I can get one for like 20 bucks...

I would tell them to shove it... Hell, for 2 grand I'll buy the parts you need and fix it all and u dont even have to buy the beer or smokes, I'll even drive up there for 2 g...

EDIT: 300 dollars for a f-ing waterpump? You can get one for like 80...

Old 03-22-2006, 12:28 AM
MikeNAmyS
Professional

Lets split the 2 grand and I'll ride out with ya'!
I know the t-stat was wow, but 500 bucks for a heater core???
Better be made of 24 Karat...

Old 03-22-2006, 12:30 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

all you guys jump in the rams in come up to NY for the weekend..we'll have a ram party... thatll be a blast!!!!! hell a tstat at napa runs 8bux flat!!!!! and its a napa brand in whatever temp you want...

Quick Reply: recommended vs. suggested vs. needed