2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Thermostat benefits

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:32 PM
ctfortner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Thermostat benefits

Cool, thanks. I ordered my Hypertech from them, wish I had had them ship the thermostat also. but I did call around, I can get it locally for about $10 or less, so I will pick one up. I did ask Dan (Fastman) when I called him about the TB, and he said yes he recommends you go with the 180* thermostat also.

My programmer should be here Friday, cant wait to install and check it out. My truck is also do for plugs, wires and D cap/rotor, so I plan to do all of that this weekend along with the thermostat and Hypertech. It should purr after all that, and then next week I will have the Fastman TB!

I tell you though, I need to get rid of the 33” x 12.50 mudders. I know they are killing my mileage also. I love them, but pulling my new camper for the first time last weekend, man my mileage was terrible. Didn’t even want to add it up. Burned a whole tank in about 200 miles, and usually get 300 without pulling the camper, which still isn’t good.

ORIGINAL: 20dodgeram01

when you get the hypertech programmer they recommend to get a low temp stat with it.. when you get more power threw the hypertech.. it sometimes brings back the pinging.. a low temp stat is suppose to help reduce detonation in your cylinders from being to hot. i just got mine put in and havent heard any ping yet! i ordered mine threw truckaddons.com i beleive.. 9.95 and free shipping. hypertech makes thermostats (thats the one i bought)

Old 03-30-2006, 03:07 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

dont forget that your speedometer isnt calaberated for your tires.. i was averaging 240 a tank till i put the programmer on and adjusted everything for my 33's.. now i can get 320 atleast if i baby it.. which i dont

Old 03-30-2006, 11:25 AM
ctfortner

yeah your right. i think mine is about 3-4mph off with those tires on there. my tires are wore out and i am going to be replacing them soon, and my wife is on my case to not get mudders again. She wants me to go back stock, or close to it for the better mileage when we travel. it will be interesting to see what happens after the programmer and Fastman TB, i cant wait. You using the hypertech? If so what setting are you running?

Oh yeah, i also bought a Stant 180* Superstat yesterday for $7. I plan to install it this weekend.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:42 AM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

ORIGINAL: ctfortner

yeah your right. i think mine is about 3-4mph off with those tires on there. my tires are wore out and i am going to be replacing them soon, and my wife is on my case to not get mudders again. She wants me to go back stock, or close to it for the better mileage when we travel. it will be interesting to see what happens after the programmer and Fastman TB, i cant wait. You using the hypertech? If so what setting are you running?

Oh yeah, i also bought a Stant 180* Superstat yesterday for $7. I plan to install it this weekend.

I hear ya on that bro, my g/f is on my *** about me modding my truck, since i just bought it... Cant argue too much because i dont have a job and i live with her... (long story) ... Which didnt stop me from putting some ventvisors on, changing the tips to chrome (instead of black [:'(]) and putting my system back in it [&:].

But yeah, she keeps ranting and raving about how I need to leave the stockers on... I agree though, I just got new michilens put on it =)

Maybe i can talk her into putting a 180 Tstat on it... "its ONLY 10 bucks honey!!" lol

Old 03-30-2006, 12:03 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

im still tryin to figure out if a t-stat ALONE will help me.... i dont have any other engine mods, no CAI, no exhaust, etc etc.

if a t-stat is my first mod will i still find a difference?

Old 03-30-2006, 01:38 PM
ctfortner

i know, women. What can you do?
It is only $10, but as my wife likes to say, i am $10 dollaring her to death. All those $10 i spend add up quickly. But hey, its paid for now, and i havent done anything but exhaust it 6 years, so i want to play now.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:58 PM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

im still tryin to figure out if a t-stat ALONE will help me.... i dont have any other engine mods, no CAI, no exhaust, etc etc.

if a t-stat is my first mod will i still find a difference?
Yes you will find a little difference, it isn't going to add 10hp or anything. On a Magnum engine it is a good idea and it won't hurt anything if you go ahead and install it. It will make a difference in the operating temperature of your truck and probably a little MPG difference. It is a good first mod and for 10 bucks it's not like you are throwing any big money away.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:24 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

According to some website that was reputable around here:

The magnum engine operates at the highest HP output at around 182 degrees. Installing a 180 degree or even a 185 will provide better HP ratings. the stock 195 just eats it up

It wasnt in those words exactly but someone correct me if I'm wrong... I dare ya!

... yeah.. hehe hope that helps

Old 03-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Put mine in today. Took about an hour. Didn't drain the radiator - just removed the top hose from the radiator and drained it into a bucket. Took off the air cleaner, the bracket from the intake to the alt, and got an extension down in there to undo the housing bolts. Used the hose to work the housing out of the hole, cut that freakin "front" tab off the housing, cleaned the old gasket off, used blue rtv on one side, the other side had sticky on it already, and put the new NAPA Premium 180 stat in. Used a piece of tape in the socket to hold the bolts when I put them back in. Put antifreeze back in the hose to fill it before reattaching it to radiator. Hooked everything back up, reset the computer. and ran it until t stat opened, then topped off the radiator. Good to go! I greatly debated whether or not to drill the new stat....in the end I decided not to since I have never done it. I ran it with the heater on full until the stat opened....I don't think I have any air bubbles. Maybe me filling the hose first helped with that...I don't know. We'll see in a bit when I go to work....

Old 03-30-2006, 09:17 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

Racinfan, come down to Nashville and do mine....

j/k, I'm gonna do mine sometime this weekend i hope.

Quick Reply: Thermostat benefits