2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 03:06 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: oil consumption

autozone and advance are the same store they are just referred to as each name in different areas.

Old 09-11-2006, 01:45 PM
RamOwna
Professional

I found out i have this same problem, i recently got my truck, changed oil (put synthetic in) and drove 1400 miles to mississippi, another 900 or so from mississippi to atlanta and back, and 1400 back to colorado where i live, ... the whole time during my trip i had absolutely no problems... not even one.. after driving almost 4k miles in 2 weeks..i get 40 minutes from my house (after waking up at 7 in the morning and driving ALL DAY LONG) i notice the oil gauge acting funny the pressure was lower than usual and the needle was bouncing back and forth some (still in the safe range though) so i think to myself the gauge must be going bad because it has 158k and things start crapping out... well suddenly i notice the gauge drops to zero oil pressure and i immediately pull over on the side of the road where i check the oil and there is so little oil it doesn't even register on the dipstick. I took a peek underneath and there wasn't a trace of fresh oil!?!?!?! now luckily this happened 40 mins from my house and not in the middle of ****ing texas with no cell phone reception... so I got a friend to run me up some 10w30 synthetic to me and fill my baby up with oil again... checked the oil and proceeded to leave.

My question is: what is goin on???? there was no fresh oil underneath...

I will try and check the codes in a minute and post what i get, thanks for takin the time to read my post

Old 09-11-2006, 02:10 PM
alcedo
Rookie

Plenium. Mine was burning 2 Qts in 300 Miles, plus pinging. Had the plenium done at the stealer, for 350.00. 1500 mi later she still shows full of oil, and no pinging, even pulling a 5K lb boat with regular fuel !!

Old 09-11-2006, 02:29 PM
turkeyhunter1962
All Star

Like the others say, it is probably your plenum gasket leaking. The plenum is attached to the bottom of the intake manifold and when it leaks the vacuum in the intake manifold sucks oil from the engine valley where the lifters are located and the oil then goes into the combustion chambers and burns. That is why you do not see any oil leaks, but you might see blue smoke out the exhaust pipe. The easiest way to determine if this is the problem is to remove the air intake bonnet while the engine is not running, open the throttle body flaps and look with a flashlight into your throttle body. If your plenum looks well oiled then you know your plenum gasket is leaking a lot, if it is only slightly oiled then it is still leaking but not as much. In either case, replace the plenum gasket ( and plenum ) and you will get rid of this problem. Most people replace the plenum with an aftermarket plenum from Hughes engine http://www.hughesengines.com/partDet...p?partID=11698 or another vendor APS Precision apsprecision.com. The aftermarket plenum's are thicker and far less likely to warp and leak as the factory plenum is prone to do.

Old 10-07-2006, 07:10 PM
junkman306
Veteran

ORIGINAL: HansonHVAC

autozone and advance are the same store they are just referred to as each name in different areas.
Advanced auto parts is based out of Roanoke, Va. Autozone is from Memphis, Tn. Two completely different companies. That's why you see them across the street from each other. They will read your codes for free. Autozone is notorious for they're code readers frying ecu's.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:15 PM
asimpson97d
Rookie

I am not saying that it is or isn't your plenum gasket but from my experience...When I bought my truck it was buring oil like crazy. I mean 2 qts in like 200 miles. My dad owns an atuomotive business and we looked and tried to find a leak 9used oil dye and everything) but never found a leak. So for the next 3 oil changes or so I put 1 qt. of Lucas oil stabilzer in and I have since put on 85,000 with little to no oil consumption. Just another thought you may try. I know it worked for my truck without having to pay 350+ to have it done. Just be sure to check it in between the first few oil changes because it takes a little bit to get to working.

Quick Reply: oil consumption