2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weak power thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 07:12 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weak power thoughts

ORIGINAL: 2ndOne

ORIGINAL: GOD RAM IT

ok, what are the symptoms?
If you just bought the truck how do you know it has a power loss?
Is it a auto or standard tranny.

You really havent given us any information to help you.
Well, I can jump out of my chevy w/ the 327 in it and there is such a major difference in power .
I don't feel there would be that much of a power variance or Dodge probably wouldn't have sold as many trucks!
It's an auto tranny.
LOL
Are you serious?

oh my lord

Old 03-24-2006, 08:10 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I would agree with the stuff above, Cat, t-chain, air filter, and Death Flash. Plenums are known to kill power a bit, so check that out for fun.

Just to describe it better (no offence mopowar ) look on your PCM under the hood. If there are ANY stickers on there that say anything about a TSB, Authorized Computer Upgrade, or Computer Flash you have the Death Flash. As stated above only way to fix it is with a Hypertech or Superchips programmer.

I just did my chain this week and I got some noticable power out of it. Nothing major but I could tell for sure and I only have 110k on mine, so if your pushing 170k I would check that for sure

Old 03-24-2006, 08:11 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pull the fuel rail and check for clogged injector inlets. I had 3 out of 8 plugged shut on my truck.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:24 PM
MikeNAmyS
Professional

Alot of it is just the 318. I think it is underpowered for the weight of the vehicle.
Thats where youre noticing the power to weight ratio.
If i could go back, I'd kept my '97 std cab with the 360.
Definitely a night and day difference.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:26 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

IS anyone even considering that he is comparing a 327 to a magnum 5.2? Ive been in a lot of trucks new and old and the 2nd gen 318 with an auto (the manuals have plenty of *****)are pathetic when compared to other manufacturers motors.

He isnt even comparing apples to apples. If he said he drove a buddies truck that had the same specs as his than I would be helping him to trouble shoot, but I think it is just the sluggish 318 auto.

sorry

Old 03-25-2006, 05:07 AM
2ndOne

Thank you for the input everyone. I will look at the puter tomorrow & give an update. Haven't thought about the injectors being backed up.

Ram it....thanx. I know who to NOT look to for input on here! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 03-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I'm not taking sides here, but Ram it could be right. I have a 4x4 ext cab 318 and it is kinda slow. I can't break the wheels loose from a dead stop, but barely can turning a sharp corner. [&:]

Old 03-25-2006, 02:27 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

I love the 318 that my truck has, i think it has a lot of power for the size engine it is =)

Then again i used to drive the 4.3 v6 (262) in an 94 chevy EXT cab short bed... Very very underpowered for the weight it was (4,350 IIRC) and on its last leg...

I end up peeling rubber everytime i punch it, and sometimes peel rubber whenever i barely hit the accel, and im driving on new michelins...

Old 03-25-2006, 06:56 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

ditto justinjohnson..... except im more careful now with new tires, hate to waste them.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:31 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 2ndOne

Thank you for the input everyone. I will look at the puter tomorrow & give an update. Haven't thought about the injectors being backed up.

Ram it....thanx. I know who to NOT look to for input on here! [sm=smiley20.gif]
Im just stating fact. If you said someone elses Dodge truck with the same specs had more ***** than yours than I would start looking for things, but I'll tell you right now the 318 is sluggish if a manual tranny isnt behind it. Not to mention that A lot of the dodges came from the factory with a trac(trash) lok rear. Which can prevent you from spinning your wheels and make it feel like the truck is slow.

and to compare a 4x2 auto or a 4x4 short bed reg cab auto to a 4x4 quad cab or reg cab long box is also not apples to apples either. But a 318 auto in anything other than a reg cab short bed 4x2 is worthless.

Save yourself some time and money and test drive a truck with the same specs, at least that way you'll/we'll know if we are even searching for something.

And as far as not asking me for help, Dont! I dont care but I have tons of info and dont mind helping logical people.

I know I wouldnt be tearing my truck apart to chase down a weak power problem if I just bought it and didnt compare it to something identical to it.[sm=dontgetit.gif][sm=loser.gif]

Quick Reply: Weak power thoughts