2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Posi-Lok!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 02:01 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posi-Lok!

I dont know if you guys had seen this, but its a replacement for your vacuum actuators on your front axle. You can either have it be operated by a cable (model# 400) or be permanatly locked (model# 1100)

You still need to engage your T-case, but this eliminates the crappy vacuum on the front axle

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html

Old 03-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: Posi-Lok!

Yeah I saw that a long time ago.

Over Spring Break my buddy's did it to a Jeep seXJ and an YJ...for $8 each. They made the kit themselves out of bike cable from wal mart, a throttle lever from the parts store, and some hefty springs from the hardware store. It works like a dream 95% of the time but it seems like there can be a drawback. Everyso often it won't engage if your stoped (like when your already stuck) So your t-case is ingaged, but your front axle so it doesn't do anything [&:]

Permantly locked though? That would be really stupid, your front end would skip every time you turned and it would really screw some stuff up at highway speeds....wierd.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Redneck2345
Veteran

they recommend that the permantly locked setup be only used for vehicles that never ever see the highway.

Ugh, you'd tear your front end off!

Old 03-27-2006, 04:21 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

Just to clear some things up.

The perma lok is for open differentials and all it does is keep the axle shaft and intermediate shaft connected at all times, which is the function of the CAD(center axle disconnect).
This has no affect while in 2 or four wheel drive. You're not locking the diff you are permantly connecting the shafts.

The posi lok is for diffs with a posi, LSD or a locker. This one works the same as the perma lok but allows you to disconnect the intermediate shaft so you can turn sharper while in 4x4. This also doesnt lock the diff and has no affect in 2wheel drive unless the front diff is spooled.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Posi-Trac = Limited Slip for diffs

Posi-Loc = Locks axle shafts together by a cable

If you were in 2wd with the front axle shafts locked (like if you had Posi-Loc) you would skip and jerk on pavement making a turn, just like you do when your in 4wd. That puts alot of strain on your axle shafts.

Agreed though, has nothing to do with the diff!

Old 03-27-2006, 07:00 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

If you were in 2wd with the front axle shafts locked (like if you had Posi-Loc) you would skip and jerk on pavement making a turn, just like you do when your in 4wd. That puts alot of strain on your axle shafts.
I dont agree with your statemnet.

Just because the intermediate shaft and the outer passenger side shaft are connect all the time doesnt mean the axle will skip. That is why you have a differential. to allow one side to spin faster than the other around corners. It would be no different than doing a 1 piece axle shaft conversion on the passenger side.

My friend has the perma lok in is truck and it doesnt skip. this works the same as the other model except the other model has a cable so the unit can be disconnected

and if you had a posi or a soft locker in the front it will unlock around corners so it still wouldnt interfear when in 2wd either.

Old 03-27-2006, 10:16 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Wierd, I say this is because my friends have it on their Jeep's, and it does jump and jerk on pavement. They both have open diff's too, no mods [&:] I'm not trying to argue with you lol

Is wierd though, does seem like the diff would allow it to spin at seperate speeds like you say, but it doesn't on either of them. Ones an XJ and ones a YJ, both with D30s up front. We tested it quite a bit. Engage the axle, then put it into 4wd. (We were on an icy road) Front and back wheels spin. Put it into 2wd, keeping the axle engaged, only the rear spins. Then we would turn around on a drive patch of pavement, and the front end jerked and jumped just like when your in 4wd, its wierd.

I understand what your saying and it seems that they should spin seperatially, but they don't. Its wierd, I wanna look into this more to see why is it the way it is!

Old 03-27-2006, 10:58 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

HMM are you sure they arent spooled in the front?

It has to work like I explained. Or else your rear end would jump too.

They may have an issue with the teeth skipping or something.

Old 03-28-2006, 01:54 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Both are totally stock axle, so as far as I knoiw they're both open. They don't offer LSD in the front do they?

Good point though, why doesn't the back to it?

Old 03-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Chopper1
All Star

My factory front axle will bind if I try to turn half way to either direction while in 4X. In fact I was using it yesterday to drag the trees I dropped to the stack. Beats the heck out of toting the wood. I was on dirt and it doesn't like to turn much. Then again my front universals needed replacing at 25K, and 70K. Every other 4X I've been in has had issues turning on solid ground with the front locked in. The bind is at the universals....

The cool thing about being able to control the front axle yourself is that you can use 4 LOW without the front pulling. Or will one side pull??????????

Quick Reply: Posi-Lok!