2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New to forum, bought used truck, a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 03:16 PM
joew
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to forum, bought used truck, a few Q's

Hello everyone.

I've been lurking for a few weeks now. I just bought a '95 2500 regular cab, 5.9 with an automatic and 120k miles on it. It's a great truck and jsut passed state inspection. Since it's a 95, it has a few personality quirks. So I joined this forum, read many of the posts, read the Christmas gift thread which was VERY helpful and am now going to try to resolve some of the quirks.

First - when it shifts into OD at around 40mph the truck "shudders" until she gains speed to around 55. Then the OD smooths out and runs normal. It opnly happens with OD. I've been driving around with OD off mostly and when I am on the highway, I just stay heavy on the gas until she reaches 60mph before I ease off and let it shift into OD. I would like to fix this if it is something I can do myself. I really don't want to spend $$$ on tranny work that "easy".

Second - a previous owner put small diameter wheels/tires on it. The Speedo registers a higher speed than actual (via GPS). Can that be corrected without a scan tool?

Third - it idles a little low. around 400RPM with the engine warm and in drive. From reading the posts, there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust it mechanically. How do I raise the idle?

BTW, this is a great forum and am enjoying all the info that gets posted.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:52 AM
dflyboy
Professional
Default RE: New to forum, bought used truck, a few Q's

For the idle there is a set screw on the passenger side of the throttle body. you will itsee where the throttle cable attaches to the throttle body. it may be under a cover that you will have to pry off right on the very front. give it a few turns (clockwise i think) while the truck is at idle and warmed up and you should here it idle higher.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:14 AM
silverram99
Captain

I think the dealer can reset your speedo to the wheels and tires you have or just do what I am going to do and kill two birds with one stone, get a power programmer and it will add power and correct the tire size problem.

Old 03-30-2006, 07:50 PM
joew

dflyboy - Thanks for the idle fix. I will try that this weekend.
silverram99 - What programmer are you planning on getting?

JoeW

Old 03-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It won't matter for you, I'm pretty sure no one makes a programmer for a '95. I think only '97 and newer. You could get a Mopar Performance PCM for the performance part, but you will probably still need the dealer to correct your tire size issue.

Old 03-30-2006, 08:07 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Welcome to DF...

actually, you shouldnt mess with that set screw... the screw is there to set the butterfly valve to a closed position. the IAC is there to set the idle where it needs to be at around 650 rpms... pull the IAC off the back of the throttle body and see if it is moving when you 1st turn the key on... it's supposed to cycle thru it's full range of motion if I recall correctly. if it doesnt, then swap it out.

another thing i'd do 1st is tune it up, plugs, cap & rotor (wires if needed), then see how it runs and go from there.

when your swapping out the cap, look down the throttle body and see if there is any oil pooling on the bottom of the intake manifold. if there is, your plenum gasket is leaking and ti should be changed.

Old 03-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Welcome to DF! I hate to be the bearer of bad news - but the tranny problem you describe is probably the death knell for your tranny. They have issues with the od units overheating and burning up. Usually the fix is a new converter, and a full tranny rebuild. You can try to change out the fluid and filter first - but I would guess its beyond that point. Have it checked at a tranny shop that has experience with Dodge truck trannies. Sorry - mine only lasted 40k miles and then went out again at 60k. 120 is pretty good....

Old 03-30-2006, 11:35 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dakota did that exact same shudder you are describeing right before the trans. went out. Under light throttle at highway speeds it would shake and shudder. 2 days later transmission was toast...[]

Old 03-31-2006, 07:53 PM
joew

Damn, this thread went from good to real bad.

OK, no reason to buy a programmer to adjust for tire size.
OK, Don't use the set screw to up the idle. Check IAC function and look inside throttle body for oil puddle. Do tune-up anyway.
OK, transmission is about to blow.

On the transmission problem, will turning off overdrive prolong the transmission? Other than the shuddering between 40-55mph, it runs smooth, no other shifting issues. I don't have the $$$ for a transmission rebuild right now.

Thanks for all the help
Joe

Old 04-02-2006, 03:38 PM
badram1500
Veteran

check the check valve in the lower cooler hose. If this is stuck it will cost you a trans. If the previous owner didn't change the fluid and filter on schedule the valve can get filled up with junk and stick shut. If you are already having a shuddering problem the converter is most likly toast. If you do wind up rebuilding make sure the shop installs the 5 pinion planetaries and at the least a transgo shift kit. The kit will help with the od oiling issues with these tranys.

Quick Reply: New to forum, bought used truck, a few Q's