2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quick Help Fast GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 08:18 PM
dodge_boy31807
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Help Fast GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok tell me if it is the water pump. I am leaking coolant something awful, and it is coming from behind the harmonic balencer. The return hose is wet and the other pullys are wet because the pully on the harmonic balencer is throwing it everywhere. Guys I need help and I need it now. Also on a 95 1500 318, the water pump(just bought one) is it screw on or press on??? Please guys quick.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:19 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Quick Help Fast GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 bolts hold the pump to the motor.

Check out the service manual in this thread: https://dodgeforum.com/m_340929/tm.htm

Old 03-26-2006, 09:36 PM
MikeNAmyS
Professional

My money is on the pump...although replace the hose while you are there.

Old 03-26-2006, 09:48 PM
dodge_boy31807
Professional

Well I'm talking about the pully on the water pump. I think that it is a screw on pully almost positive. I'm goin to do it tomorrow after 3 or so, when I am done with work. If someone could tell me if it is screw or press on(pretty sure it is screw) thanks.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:55 AM
Chopper1
All Star

When you take the nuts of the 4 nuts/bolts that hold the fan on the pulley comes off.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:08 AM
Two60s98
Professional

There should be a 'weep hole' on the water pump. When they go bad, they either sound like crap, or leak out this hole. While in there, I'd also suggest replacing the hoses and clamp. Good time to do a new T-Stat too. Preventive maintenance good.

Old 03-27-2006, 02:23 PM
dodge_boy31807
Professional

Well that is where the coolant is leaking from and it is starting to squeel bad too. Today around 3(tell me if I am wrong or something), we are going to put the truck on a lift, and from there take the fan off and then the pump, and then try and figure out how to pull the pully off the old pump, put it on the old one, and put it back together. Does anyone know how long this is going to take me??

Old 03-27-2006, 04:36 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

Umm why are you putting it on a lift? You dont want to work UNDER all that coolant, unless you want a bath...

Drain the radiator from the drain ****, take off the fan shroud off the top of the radiator. Pull the lower radiator hose and clamp off the radiator, drain all that nice green (or brown depending on how old it is) ****. Take off the accessory drive belt, Take off the 4 nuts (Or bolts, will explain more later), the pulley should just rest behind the fan on the nuts (the 4 nuts on the fan is what holds the pulley and fan on the waterpump). Take off any accessory brackets/accessories that are in front of the waterpump, anything that is blocking it will hinder the ability to take the waterpump off. There should be 7 bolts holding the waterpump to the engine. Pull off the 7 bolts, save them, you need them later.

If the fan was held on by bolts you need to save those.

If they were held on by nuts, check the new waterpump to see if they provide the threaded studs and nuts. Chances are they dont, so get yourself some channel lock pliers and unscrew the studs (lefty loosee). Replace the studs into the new waterpump. Make sure you have some RTV Blue sealant and the waterpump came with new gaskets. Put RTV Sealant on the new waterpump and place the gaskets on top of the sealant, then spread more sealant on the other side of the gasket and give it a couple of minutes to set... ****IMPORTANT**** SCRAPE OFF THE OLD GASKET ON THE ENGINE while you are waiting or the sealant to set.

Installation is the reverse of removal...

As stated before, go ahead and buy new hoses/clamps (The spring type clamp that the factory puts on is CRAP, by yourself some screw tight clamps) and a new T-Stat.

Drill a hole in the thin metal part of the t-stat (next to the spring) to help with burping the system.

All of this will take around an hour to hour 1/2 to do if you know what your doing... I replaced a waterpump and burped it on my old truck in under 20 minutes... I've replaced many-a-waterpump in my time hehe...

Quick Reply: Quick Help Fast GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!