2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any CB/HAM guys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 12:06 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any CB/HAM guys?

Any of you CB or HAM guys? I just bought a CB off eBay and after the jackass lied about the shipping date, and lied in the discription so it doesn't hae some of the features I wanted I finially went to hook it up...and somethings broke in it.

It gets power and everything is good but the CB part doesn't work, and the Weather part only works under a certian condition. When you take the antenna and stick the middle prong to the connector it works and comes in clear, but as soon as the outside (threaded parts) thouch its static just like w/out the antenna in.

After spending $80 on it fron eBay for it not to have all the features I don;t want to spend money to ship it to get repaired! [:@]

Old 03-27-2006, 12:09 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran
Default RE: Any CB/HAM guys?

I have a (believe it or not) Radio shack CB i picked up off Ebay, and had no problems with it. Did you get hold of the seller? Also do you happen to have a truck stop around your place, like a road king or what not? Truck stops usually have a CB shop that would fix it for you if you went that route.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:44 AM
shnormo
Veteran

Sounds like the douche that bought it before you were *** clowns. They prolly tried using it without an antena hooked up. What kind is it and what model. I have a Uniden PC122XL and I had accidently tried using it without an antenna hooked up and I had the same problem. Also the crystals have to warm up on side bands. 1-23 are for AM and 23-40 are reserved for sidebands. Is there anyone else in the area with a CB? Use squletch to help reduce the static. What kind of car is it on? The roof has a lot to do with it too, the antena transmits from the top down using the roof as it's main recieving and transmitting surface.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:55 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Its a Cobra 29 WX ST, also It doesn't have the Side Bands. The sqeulch doesn't do anything right now, antenna or no antenna. No truck stops around me either.

As for the car its on, its on a 2nd Gen Dodge Ram

I know the power cord, mic, and antenna are good because my bud hooked up his Cobra to all three and they worked like a charm and yes theres others with in the area with CB's. When he hooked his up there were 3 people on Ch.19 alone.

As for the seller, I messanged him nicly saying that it didn't have some of the mentioned features and he come back with some BS line. I then asked if there was anything he'd do for me. All he replied with was "good bye" and now he doesn't respond. I just messaged him telling him that its broke and he still says nothing. This guys a jackass. t-olsen, avoid this moron. This ****'s me off alot, I spend $80 on it just to get one that doesn;t have the features I bought it specificially for, and it doesn't work... [:@] ****'s me off just thinking about it.

Also, I have a small electronics background so I opened it up hoping to find a ground that came loose or just some resisters or something that got bent and were touching, no luck there.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:32 AM
radwebster
Captain

if you payed via paypal, they have a buyer protection program. you can get your money back through them and have paypal and ebay deal with the weiner who sold the crap CB. you might as well mention it to paypal, definitely worth the few minutes to send a report.

Old 03-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Thats why I hate buying stuff off E-Bay......As long as you are sure that the antenna is good, and the mic is good - I would guess that the finals are burnt up inside. Your best bet is to contact a CB shop as close to you as you can find and ask them what they think. If the finals are indeed f-ed, it is probably more expensive to repair than what you paid for it. Just so you know - you can get a new Cobra 29 for $129 - 159 depending on the model and features

Old 03-27-2006, 01:03 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Have you tried a different antenna and cable. It sounds like you may have a short if it will work without the shield making contact. Also, as previously stated, someone might have keyed the mike without the antenna connected.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I took it to a little tiny broom closet shop today and a guy said he'd take a quick look at it to see if it was okay. He had it for about 2 minutes hooked up to some machine and said it was transmitting at 5W and the recieveing was good. So he walks over after the whole 2 minutes and says "It seems to be fine, everything is in range. That'll be $10"

Whats with me and finding cheap skate morons lately [:@]

Anyways I hocked it backup and tried again. I can only transmit about 100yards (even though that moron said it was transmitting at a full 5W) but I can recieve my friend that was pushing 5 miles away. Grrrrrrrrrr so this thing doesn't transmit now. Supprisingly, the internet is NO help. I can't find any information about this, or troubleshooting CB's of any sort. Any other idea's?

Oh yeah, I filed a claim with Paypal, told them that its not as discribed and doesn;t fully work. The guy emailed PayPal back and now they're "looking into it"

Old 03-27-2006, 07:09 PM
big_Gymnast
Rookie

This sounds like an antenna problem to me. My grandfather was in the two-way radio business all his life, so i've been around this stuff all my life. I have Cobra the Cobra 18 WX ST in my Ram, the Cobra 29 WX in the Dakota, and the Uniden (walmart special) in my chevy. I love them all, but this sounds like an antenna problem, are you using dual whips or a single?, magnet mount or permanent? Let me know and i'll help ya out as much as possible.

Evan

Old 03-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Magnetic mount, single wip. My buddy hooked his Cobra up to my Mic, Power Cord, and antenna and he was talking to people 5+ miles away, so I'm kinda leaning that the antenna is okay [&:]

Also the Recieve stregnth moves perfect, my RF stays right where its suppose to, and my SWR looks to be just below 1.5:1 The antenna is a K30 (by K40 electronics) so its a nice antenna. Its calibrated too, switch it to Cal and key the mic, sits right on "Cal" on the meter.

Quick Reply: Any CB/HAM guys?