2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Exhaust Fiasco!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 05:25 PM
silverram99
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Fiasco!!

I had one hell of a night last night to say the least. My friend (who works at a metal fab shop) and I decided that putting my exhaust on in the shop were he works wouldn't be too bad of an idea, especially since they have MIG and TIG welders right there. So I got to his work about 5 pm and started going to town getting my old exhaust off the truck while he finished some parts. I got the old on off with very little problems and started putting on that Summit kit I bought, what a joke. I did everything just like the instructions said and it still never fit like it should have. So I waited until this morning and took it up to my local exhaust shop (where I shoudl have gone in the first place) and had them look at it. They said there is no way that the Summit kit could have worked. So 375 bucks later I have a Flowmaster exhaust and some pile of s*** Summit kit that I don't think I send back because it has been modified. Moral of this story, leave the exhaust work to the pros and don't skimp on quality to save a little cash. DON'T BUY A SUMMIT EXHAUST KIT!!!!!!!!

On a much lighter note the new exhaust sounds/looks great. I love it, you just can't beat the sound of a Flowmaster 40 Series IMO.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:41 AM
Zeppelinrocks
Veteran
Default RE: Exhaust Fiasco!!

i agree with you on the sound of the 40 i just got mine tonight and i love it, dont know how i lived without it.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:48 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

dude i SOOOOOOO feel your pain... i bought a "summit" prebent bolt on kit from ebay and it fit like a square block in a round hole... hitting my new shocks (heating them up too) and running into the frame... im on my 3rd system right now... this system i did completley myself short of bending pipe..and i even sat there and watched the mufflershop guy do it...and i made him go through 2 lengs of 2.25 before he had it EXACLTY how i wanted it... all done and said i prolly have close to a 1000 in piping and exhaust systems on the truck excluding the headers..

Old 03-30-2006, 02:57 AM
silverram99
Captain

Yikes! I hope I dont ever get 1000 invested in exhaust. Then again I'm at the 500 mark already with the Summit pile of crap and the good exhaust. I went to the shop and they got it in and out in like 1 hour. I was standing outside having a chew while I watched them do it and I almost cried because they made it look so easy........

Old 03-30-2006, 03:01 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

so you drove your truck to the exhaust shop the next day with a exhaust on it?? lol that mustof been a fun ride!

Old 03-30-2006, 03:02 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

without** i mean.. or did you put the stock exhaust back on?

Old 03-30-2006, 03:10 AM
silverram99
Captain

Oh no, it had that half assed Summit junk on it and it wasn't that bad until I hit a bump and I could feel the pipe hitting my differential and keeping my shocks from working. The way I understand Summits warranty if you cut the exhaust you cant send it back either. I am never trying exhaust work again lol. The guys at the muffler shop were nice about it though, they laughed a little but not too much. They showed me why it would never work for my truck though, the muffler they used is an offset inlet and the exhaust pipe that comes after the cat had to be bent some too. The summit kit was a center inlet and had no bends in the pipe. I am really happy with the new exhaust though so I guess all is well, I'm ready for the next big mod.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:12 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

hypertech programmer, cai, 50mm fastman tb.. you name it

Old 03-30-2006, 03:16 AM
silverram99
Captain

ORIGINAL: 20dodgeram01

hypertech programmer, cai, 50mm fastman tb.. you name it
That is exactly my plan, I'm stil lin high school though and between gas, girls and my truck payment it is tough to get money for all those things. Plus the price of a can of Cope Longcut went up too $4.50 a can now.....damn.

Old 03-30-2006, 03:43 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran

I just purchased an exhaust kit of summit, but its a Gibsons (i hope it is, it better be). Hope I dont go through the same BS as you

[:'(]

Quick Reply: Exhaust Fiasco!!