2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

"Electric Supercharger"

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:08 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "Electric Supercharger"

Actualy the leaf blower idea will work especialy on the lowend. I have almost everything drawn up and the parts picked out to do this. I just don't have the $300 it's gonna cost me to do it all. One of these days I will get around to it and ofcourse have to dyno it and see what happens.

Flame away but remember they flamed the wright brothers when they said they were gonna fly.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:15 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Only problem with that is it will sound hilarious from the outside. People will think you ran over a gardener and he is still stuck in your undercarriage.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:25 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MAGICDSSMAN

Actualy the leaf blower idea will work especialy on the lowend. I have almost everything drawn up and the parts picked out to do this. I just don't have the $300 it's gonna cost me to do it all. One of these days I will get around to it and ofcourse have to dyno it and see what happens.

Flame away but remember they flamed the wright brothers when they said they were gonna fly.
You'll never get it dyno'd. The guys at the shop will be rolling all over the floor and won't be able to work the machine

Old 03-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

I don't think it will have much result anyway. A supercharger or turbo works by actually compressing the air (that's why intercoolers are needed because compressing air creates heat). It has to be able to compress enough air so that the intake stroke is taking in a larger amount of air then what the engine can take in normally to have any benefit. In my opinion, a fan or leaf blower does not compress air, it only accelerates it. All you will be doing is ensuring that the intake stroke has all the air it needs for normal operation by accelerating the air into the cylinder, but that air will not be compressed, so the total volumn of air in the cylinder will not be larger then it is normally, so it will provide little benefit.

Just my thoughts, but good luck to you.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:29 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

I agree with mopowar, if you do get it up show pics, and if you can get it dyno'd, well... show more pics, or videos... I would pay to see videos of it...

the link i posted above is the "Super quiet" model or whatever...

Old 03-30-2006, 01:53 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I don't think it will have much result anyway. A supercharger or turbo works by actually compressing the air (that's why intercoolers are needed because compressing air creates heat). It has to be able to compress enough air so that the intake stroke is taking in a larger amount of air then what the engine can take in normally to have any benefit. In my opinion, a fan or leaf blower does not compress air, it only accelerates it. All you will be doing is ensuring that the intake stroke has all the air it needs for normal operation by accelerating the air into the cylinder, but that air will not be compressed, so the total volumn of air in the cylinder will not be larger then it is normally, so it will provide little benefit.

Just my thoughts, but good luck to you.

Man, you're busting my bubble here with all this reallity talk.

Back to my hair dryer idea. What if I was to put a vise on the hair dryer and crank it down real tight. Would this compress the air enough? For an intercooler I could use a window ac unit and plug it in to the same inverter. Then my truck would truly be modded to the max.

Old 03-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion

If your going to be using a hair dryer, you should install a system for spray too.....hair spray. A little Aqua Net or Suave shot in the intake (set it up like a NOS kit) with that hair dryer compressed air, cooled by a window AC unit, should be worth 100+ horsepower easily.

Old 03-30-2006, 02:08 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

There you go. That stuff is probably more volitile than gasoline. Probably have like three foot flames shooting out the tale pipes as I shoot down the strip. The crowd would be asking themselves- "I wonder how he sees out the windshield over top that ac unit cut into the hood".

Old 03-30-2006, 02:09 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

Yeah, until you get all that nice gunk that didnt burn up all in the intake... And the truck dies...

Yeah i know what kind of resin hairspray leaves behind, I own a potato launcher =D

Old 03-30-2006, 02:17 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Running all that boost from the hair dryer would blow that stuff right out of there. I'm thinking top fuel class with Supercuts as a sponsor. This would enable me to fund the travel and replinish my wife's hair supplies.

Hopefully anyone researching buying an electric supercharger off of ebay will have this thread pop up on their search engine, and reallize what joke it is.

Quick Reply: "Electric Supercharger"