2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hypertech Installed Last Night - Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006 | 03:00 PM
silverram99
Captain
Default RE: Hypertech Installed Last Night - Worth It?

I know that the PCM needs to be tuned up also, so I'm pretty sure I will still get one. I can't go with a Mopar PCM because I have to be able to tow and I like being able to switch what type of gas I have to use.

Old 03-31-2006 | 03:10 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

if you go back to 33's or 285's your towing will be much better and your milage will improve (my bet) I suggest you keep the programmer installed at 93 level, it will help with milage in the long run. may not be much now (with the 35's) but it will with the 33's for sure. If you stick with the 33's do swap your gearing for the 4.11's.

My truck with 295's (33.9" tire) and 4.11's and all the go-fast goodies was getting close to 14 mpg on a regular basis. I did manage to get into the 14's but had a pinging problem which was traced down to a bad fuel pump (fuel pressure was dropping out which caused the motor to lean out and improve milage).

Old 03-31-2006 | 03:57 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

cfortner - what gears do you have now? If you have the 3.55 like I do - the 35's are KILLING you. I had the "death flash" program in my truck, the Hypertech made a HUGE difference in how mine runs. I use the 87 program. I didn't set the rev limiter any higher - no point to it. The motor quits making power at about 4600rpm anyway. I have the mods listed in my sig below. Stock tire size 265 75 16 on mine too. You probably need to run it for a 100 miles or so before you pass judgement on how much improvement there is. It still takes a bit for the pcm to "learn" the settings after the program. Also keep in mind that the Hypertech or any other similar program isn't going to make your truck a fire breathing tire smoking monster by itsself......

Old 03-31-2006 | 04:46 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

I would have spent the money elsewhere.
if I were you I would have put the money towards gears instead of that thing.
The gears would fix your speedo problem and give you better gas milage and give you 100 times more noticable power.
there gears will also extend your tranny life 10 fold when running your 35s

want to read more?

read all of these posts on PS. Not too much good is said about them.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/search.php

If you want to throw $300 away send it to me I can use it.

Old 03-31-2006 | 04:51 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I had the death flash, and when I installed my Superchips I noticed a big difference. I have been researching programmers lately, and found out that, depending on what you are looking for, Superchips/Hypertech might not be the way to go. Because of the way they mass market thier product, there are certain things they will not do for liability reasons and because they have to make sure that thier stuff will work with any vehicle, whether stock or modded to the nines. I just bought a used PCM from a junk yard and am having it custom programmed. I am planning on posting the results after I get it installed and try it out.

I have read on posts on here claiming that the only way to raise shift points is with a shift kit. I was told this is false, and if you look at a schematic of the PCM you will see the signal wires going to the 1-2 and 3-4 shift solenoids. Also there is no way Superchips/Hypertech is going to tell your PCM to run at anything other than 14.7:1 a/f ratio. Then there's that friggin lovely thing that DC put in there called torque management to keep the butter tranny from imploding. Contrary to popular belief this dates all the way back to 2000 and is one of the reasons people can't light 'em up.

Old 03-31-2006 | 06:32 PM
ctfortner

Ok, well I know (pretty sure) I will go to a smaller tire soon, probably 33’s. I will check into putting 4.11 gears in, I have the stock ones in there now, I assume they are 3.55. never checked it out. If I remember correct, I used to get about 13-14 MPG when it was stock tires and brand new, and currently I get around 11 or so, 8-9 when towing the camper.

I plan to keep the programmer, install the Fastman TB and 180 Thermo and the K&N drop in I bought the other day and see how it all goes. I will see how all that goes and then maybe my next one will be 4.11 gears. How much does that usually run? I know it is not going to make it a fire breathing machine by itself, but I just didn’t notice anything at all, is the only reason I had any concern about it. But I am going to keep it, it should work well with the other stuff I do in the future.

RAM IT, if I come into an extra $300, I will let you know, but don’t make plans for it yet

Old 03-31-2006 | 07:31 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ctfortner

RAM IT, if I come into an extra $300, I will let you know, but don’t make plans for it yet
I can wait until Christmas.

Old 03-31-2006 | 07:40 PM
ctfortner

cool, i will get you the same thing i got you last year. should make for a good christmas

ORIGINAL: GOD RAM IT

ORIGINAL: ctfortner

I can wait until Christmas.

Old 03-31-2006 | 08:26 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

The gears would fix your speedo problem and give you better gas milage and give you 100 times more noticable power.

want to read more?

I bet they all have a common mod of 35's and no gearing...

I have 295's on my truck which is close to a 34" tire, 4.11 gearing and the hypertech rocks. It works well with my setup.

Old 03-31-2006 | 08:41 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

want to read more?

I bet they all have a common mod of 35's and no gearing...

I have 295's on my truck which is close to a 34" tire, 4.11 gearing and the hypertech rocks. It works well with my setup.
Wrong, 90% of them are geared.

Why are you selling yours?

Even if they did have 35 and no gearing you should still notice an increase.

Quick Reply: Hypertech Installed Last Night - Worth It?