2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Where to place an OIL TEMP SENDER

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 04:26 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to place an OIL TEMP SENDER

I was doing the Yahoo IM thing with STEVE00RAM360 and he didn't see any other way to do this nor was he aware of anyplace else on the engine to put the sender.

I have a Cyberdyne OIL TEMP gauge, with sender, that I am going to install. Problem is, I would like to avoid having to mess with the stock Pressure sender near the distributor. The instructions call for me to put a T fitting between the Pressue sender and the block, and place my TEMP sender in the T.

The pressure sender looks like it is going to be a nightmare to get at and as such, I would like to avoid even going near it.

Soooooo.............is there any other place on the engine that has a port that I can remove the plug from, install the necessary hardware, and place my TEMP sending unit?

Engine is a 98 5.9L, Gas engine, not a diesel.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:43 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Where to place an OIL TEMP SENDER

Find a bung that the temp sensor will thread into, drop your oil pan and punch a hole in it on the bottom back side of the pan and weld in the bung.. Wire as instructed.

Old 03-31-2006, 05:25 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong- I have not been back in the "sender hole" yet, but I think all of the threads for the sensors are npt. If so, you could go to a hardware store or plumbing supply house and buy a close nipple and a tee. Take your pressure sender out and screw the tee/nipple in. Then thread your sender in one of the two remaining holes in the tee, and the temp sensor in the other. You would probably get a more accurate reading going RM_Indy's route though.

Old 03-31-2006, 06:08 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

My problem isn't getting the hardware. I just don't like the idea of having to become a yogi and work my hands and arms around the back by the distributor to pull the Pressure sender out. I have a Pacesetter CAI installed and its a royal pain to re-install (easier to destroy/remove than to create/install!!, and I would have to remove it to be able to lay down on top of the engine and work back there.

As a last resort, I'll weld the bung into the pan, but even that might end up being more work than trying to become a Gumby and get at the Pressure sender area. If there is no other port that I can adapt to, I'll then have to do one or the other.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:33 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

I still say put it on the top, a little bit of pain now but it would be a cleaner install...plus it's out of sight.

AND, you havent been 1 with your motor in a while... jk

Old 03-31-2006, 08:51 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I'm beginning to come around and realize that "Resistance is Futile!!" Now, I'll just see what I can see and if I'm going to need to do anything special. My luck? Probably!

As for being one with my motor, I should take your advice about that as well. According to all the stuff you've done to yours, I gather you have another woman in your life. I wonder if we should rat you out to the Missus? Hmmm??? [sm=goodidea.gif]??? Yeah, I think so. hehehehehe

Old 03-31-2006, 09:29 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

lol, tell her whatever you want. I have nothing to hide...

Quick Reply: Where to place an OIL TEMP SENDER