2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cant Keep it Running... PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 06:47 PM
hattrickz91
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant Keep it Running... PLEASE HELP

I left the lights on in my truck.. and a Jump couldnt fix it, so Auto Zone said i needed to Replace the Alternator and Battery Which i did.. so know i can get it started givin it a lil gas... but once i let off of the gas the truck shuts off.. it cant and wont idle.. What is the problem PLEASE HELP

hattrickz91@yahoo.com

Old 03-31-2006, 06:53 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Cant Keep it Running... PLEASE HELP

Well, this could in fact be a number of things....Had you noticed any problems other then the power issue in the last couple of days/weeks? Running rougher then normal, any weird sounds/actions?

Things to check would be:

1.) Make sure your battery terminals are firmly clamped and in good order. While this is most likely NOT the problem, its a good place to always check and make sure.

2.) Check your fuel pump. This can often go out and prevent fuel from running to the engine, causing it to die.

3.) Check your o2 sensor. This part is often overlooked and not replaced as frequently as it indeed should be. This is most likely not the main problem, but could potentially contribute to the problem.

4.) Check your plugs/rotor/distributor cap/wires. Could be a bad plug perhaps?

These are things I would check, but I dont know how to generate an error code on your vehicle. I'd suggest posting more information on your truck to help us know what it is and help with diagnosis. Getting an error code can help ALOT in pinpointing the issue.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:00 PM
hattrickz91

It is a V6 1996 Dodge Ram 2x4 Auto.. Last week i left the lights on after work, went out several hours later and it was dead.. i tried to jump the truck, and it wouldnt start without gunnin the gas, so the guy at Autozone said i needed a new battery and Alternator, so i replaced them and i am still havin the same problem it wont run without giving it gas. the truck wont idle.

Old 03-31-2006, 07:05 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Definitely would look hard at the fuel pump....and the plugs...

Old 03-31-2006, 07:15 PM
hattrickz91

can i do that on my own .. or do i need to take it somewhere?

Old 03-31-2006, 07:51 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

If you just asked the question i would suggest taking it somewhere [&:]

The plugs are easy to do if you know what your doing. Just pull each plug off one at a time, take out the plug using a spark plug socket and wrench. Check to see if they look burnt/bent/white. If they look like it, i suggest replacing them.

To check the distributor cap and rotor, take off the distributor. Look at the "points" (The metal posts under the cap), if they are charred or look like they are marred up pretty good, you need to replace the distributor. This is simple, as long as you take off one wire at a time, and put in on the new cap the SAME way. As for the rotor, look at metal piece on the tip of it (on one side or the other). If it looks burnt/marred it needs to be replaced..

Either way if the distributor or rotor needs replaced, always replace the other one.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:09 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: JustinJohnson86

If you just asked the question i would suggest taking it somewhere [&:]

The plugs are easy to do if you know what your doing. Just pull each plug off one at a time, take out the plug using a spark plug socket and wrench. Check to see if they look burnt/bent/white. If they look like it, i suggest replacing them.

To check the distributor cap and rotor, take off the distributor. Look at the "points" (The metal posts under the cap), if they are charred or look like they are marred up pretty good, you need to replace the distributor. This is simple, as long as you take off one wire at a time, and put in on the new cap the SAME way. As for the rotor, look at metal piece on the tip of it (on one side or the other). If it looks burnt/marred it needs to be replaced..

Either way if the distributor or rotor needs replaced, always replace the other one.
Like JJ stated, if you are unsure, take it somewhere. That said, you can easily pickup a Haynes manual at a local auto parts store and possibly do it yourself. Fuel pumps/plugs are relatively easy to do, require 2-4 hours depending on your knowledge/ability, and can be done for pennies compared to paying someone else.

There's a member on here by the name of steve00ram360. He's the 2nd gen Ram section mod, and he's the most knowledgable guy I know for that model Ram. I would send him a PM regarding how to generate error codes on a 2nd Gen Ram. These usually involve turning the key all the way back toward you and then turning it all the way to almost turning it on 3x in a row....and you should get a flashing light that will blink in a certain pattern. I know this applied for alot of the older vehicles but I'm not sure if it applies for your model Ram.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:24 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Welcome to DF...

slap a battery charger on the battery. even if it's new still do it. while it's charging have a look at the TB and see if there is any gunk in it. if there is, yank it off and clean it real good. pull the IAC motor off the back of the TB and clean the valve real good and also where it mates to the TB. once your done cleaning it, plug it in (can be off the TB but you may have to ground it) and turn the key on. you should see it go through it's range of motion. if I recall correctly, it should do this the 1st time your key is turned on after a battery disconnect. if it doesnt, and cleaning the IAC & TB doesnt fix it, you may need a new IAC motor. $60 bux at Napa.

HTH...

Old 03-31-2006, 11:16 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

Not to jack the thread but

Devils Reject:

I kinda like that... JJ ... I've been called that all my life by my grandmother and you are the first to call me by that outside of my family... congrats =)

Quick Reply: Cant Keep it Running... PLEASE HELP