2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TStat Help?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 02:52 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TStat Help?

yeah thats where mine stays at... keeps it nice and cool.. they just recommend getting a low temp stat when putting on the hypertech programmer or any mods really

Old 04-02-2006, 02:52 PM
WHRAM

Sounds like you just put the stat in but you didn't change the pcm. The computer works on an if and then program you need to tell it you have a 180 in there resetting won't work since that doesn't change code. The dealer can change the pcm to 180 for a price but you should be able to find a shop to do it. Typically most have the programer and do it themselves.

Old 04-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: 20dodgeram01

i havent checked my check engine light codes yet to see if mine has that same code... my check engine light has been on for a good 2 months now for that evap problem.. and everytime i take it to the dealer i need to pay 100 bucks even though its under warranty.. they changed the gas cap but the light came back on 3 days later.. sorry to steal the thread but what else can i look for for the evap problem???
I had a cel for an evap problem - after a long diagnosis process, the dealer tech figured out it was a bad charcoal canister......that was expensive. I would look into that issue if they have checked all the other options. I think it was like $300 for the diagnosis and the fix......

jalapeenoz - when you run the truck after the t-stat install, you need to turn the heater on full hot, and run it long enough with the cap off that the thermostat opens and you can see the fluid circulating. It helps to rev the engine slightly. You can add more fluid as it circulates until full. I reset the computer after it was full.

Old 04-02-2006, 05:24 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: WHRAM

Sounds like you just put the stat in but you didn't change the pcm. The computer works on an if and then program you need to tell it you have a 180 in there resetting won't work since that doesn't change code. The dealer can change the pcm to 180 for a price but you should be able to find a shop to do it. Typically most have the programer and do it themselves.
Who told you that? I run 180* tstats in 5 Dodge's with no problems and haven't had any of them re-programmed. After market programmers just change timing/fuel tables. They don't write any new code as it pertains to operating temp. Some programmer/chip manufacturers recommend a 180* stat because they advance the timing so much that the engine may ping without one.

WHRAM-I notice in your signature that you have a reprogrammed pcm. Do you remember who did it?

Old 04-02-2006, 07:31 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

How do you reset the computer? I've heard people saying that you turn the key 3 times or unplug the batt.. Anyone got a straight answer for this?

Old 04-02-2006, 07:42 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Disconnect the negative battery terminal and turn the key to the start position for ~20-30 seconds.

Old 04-02-2006, 08:01 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

do you have to reset the pcm after the install? i didnt do that to mine and its fine

Old 04-02-2006, 08:38 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Nope.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:47 PM
jalapeenoz
Professional

Ok last night I tried burping the system again after I reset the pcm which cleared the 1281 code. Got the engine up to temp with the heat on high (which I had done when I first installed it) and was able to get a couple more bubbles out. Drove it a bit and seemed fine. Drove it to and from work today and no engine light. The needle is where it should be according to the pic (thanks MOPOWAR). I am assuming the problem is now fixed. I went with the 180 stat because of the various posts I read that it will help the engine run cooler and maybe give me a little boost in power. I have to say that even though it was a major PITA to change (god my old chevy was a piece of cake compared to this) the truck does seem to run a little better and feel a little peppier. In that sense I would recommend it especially considering how inexpensive the part is.

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: TStat Help?