2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plz Help! Massive electrical failure!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 03:44 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Plz Help! Massive electrical failure!

DON'T EVER REPLACE A SMALL FUSE WITH A BIGGER FUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sorry for the caps just have to make my point. here it is.

a fuse is something that protects the electrical system from too much current running through it. the components down stream are not designed for that much current rating and thus will burn up or fail all together causing more problems then you want to deal with. realize this, about 1 amp current will more than kill a full grown human being (if grounded that is).

here's my story and advice.

last week my roommates crappy little beater (a nissan 200sx from 85) died in my parking space at our apartment. he thought it was the fuel pump so he went and got a used one from a guy an hour away. he tore apart the interior, tore open the fuel pump, put the "new" assembly in and it still wouldn't turn over. checked both fuel pumps to see if they worked directly off the batt, both did. so he tore open interior to open up the harness line, found it was dead grounded somewhere or broken. kept going through the fuses and up to the battery. nothing. oh at this point he was pissed. finally after spending about five hours tearing things apart, two fuel pumps, and five relays, he looks to the side of the battery and there is a fused link unplugged. somehow it got pulled free by the bouncing battery.

this is the advice i'm going to give, start at the battery and work your way back. i'm not saying there is a fused link anywhere on the rams but it's better to start there and figure it out then miss the simplest error.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:16 AM
mattyge
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Plz Help! Massive electrical failure!

GOOD NEWS!
Looked all underneath and moved some wires around and taped up the exposed wires in the bed and poped in a new fuse. SO FAR SO GOOD! *KNocK on WOoD* guess i really didn't do anything but thanks for all your guys input it really helped!!

Quick Reply: Plz Help! Massive electrical failure!