2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Looking for Flex

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 07:53 AM
guardrail
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for Flex

Ok,
I just bought an '01 Ram 1500 QC with the Off Road Package and a 3" coil spacer in front to level the truck and support the push bar and winch that are on it. I am looking to increase the overall flexability of the suspension and was thinking of getting sway bar disconnects and flipping the overload spring in the rear. I was just wondering where I can get sway bar disconnects for it and if flipping the overload will do me any good. I crawled under the truck and noticed that the overload spring is actually pretty close to flat so how much would it help to flip it. Any info and input is welcome as I am new to Rams, but not new to off roading.
Thanks in advance,
Bri.

Old 04-04-2006, 11:41 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker
Default RE: Looking for Flex

just get rid of the sway bar, you wont notice it too much without it. Also the rear will have no problem flexing I wouldnt even touch that.

I would also get aet of 3" springs instead of the coil spacers, that will allow you more flex as well. I would also double check to see if the guy before you put longer shocks in, if he didnt than the shocks will bottom out before you extend to full flex.

there isnt a quick disconnect made for our trucks, you'll have to buy some for a Jeep and make them fit.

also if you really want flex get some 5" coils and a AAL for the rear and get a long arm setup.
I have one for sale if you're interested. I decided to go another route because I may have to return my truck to stock this summer

Old 04-04-2006, 02:07 PM
guardrail

ORIGINAL: GOD RAM IT

just get rid of the sway bar, you wont notice it too much without it. Also the rear will have no problem flexing I wouldnt even touch that.
Yeah, I was thinking of that, but I didn't know how much it would allow the truck to lean while cornering. I may give that a try.
I would also get aet of 3" springs instead of the coil spacers, that will allow you more flex as well. I would also double check to see if the guy before you put longer shocks in, if he didnt than the shocks will bottom out before you extend to full flex.
I don't know if I am going to change springs yet. How much would a set of 3" springs run me? It does have aftermarket shocks (KYB's) but I don't know if they are longer than stock. I will have to disconnect one end of them and flex it to see.
there isnt a quick disconnect made for our trucks, you'll have to buy some for a Jeep and make them fit.
That sucks. How hard is it to make a set for a Jeep fit, what do I have to do to it?
also if you really want flex get some 5" coils and a AAL for the rear and get a long arm setup.
I have one for sale if you're interested. I decided to go another route because I may have to return my truck to stock this summer
I don't want to mod the basic architecture of the suspension, but thankyou anyways. I am just looking to do what I can that is cheap and easy. It is already high enough that my Wife will complain about getting in and out of it and I don't want to go cutting or welding or changing suspension geometry. I think that the stock setup can be made to flex well enough with the other things you mentioned.
Thankyou for your ideas, anybody else got some input?

Old 04-04-2006, 02:22 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

if you look on pavementsucks.com you can pick up a set of springs there. But just remember you already have 3" springs in there stock. So you are looking for 5" regular coils or 3" lift offroad coils.

There is someone selling a set of 5" springs on there now for around $100.

Old 04-04-2006, 03:44 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

im in the same boat as you..not really lookin for flex but not sure if i want spacers or coils... i need to find out if my stock coils have any sag to them first,,, i noticed it when i came home from iraq , that the front end was dipping a little lower then normal so i wouldnt want to add spacers and just get an 1" out of them b/c the coils gone soft on me

Old 04-04-2006, 04:15 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

oh I for got to mention the front.

Super lift makes weld in spacers that fit over the stock coil tower. I gained 1" from them. they state the it will give you 3/4" with a question mark

Old 04-05-2006, 03:32 AM
guardrail

ORIGINAL: GOD RAM IT

just remember you already have 3" springs in there stock. So you are looking for 5" regular coils or 3" lift offroad coils.

Let me make sure I understand you correctly. What you are saying is that the Off Road pkg springs are 3" lift over stock, so to replace them and my 3"coil spacer, I will need 5" lift springs, is that what you mean?

Old 04-05-2006, 11:11 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

5-6" springs. that is correct.

Quick Reply: Looking for Flex