2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

installing roof cab lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:37 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing roof cab lights

i just got in the 5 amber cab lights that come on diesels for my truck.. i was just wondering how hard it would be to install these?? the place i got them from charges $65/hr and they said its a good 3 hours job!!!

Old 04-11-2006, 02:26 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: installing roof cab lights

NNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Dont pay that lol. Its so easy. I helped my buddy do this. Pull out your overhead console then you can pull out your headliner. After you remove the headliner there are (for lack of a better explanation) two roofs. The bottom piece of sheetmetal already has the holes drilled for cab lights. So basically stick your drill bit in those holes to go through the top roof. There your holes are done. Run your wires through that hole and wire them however you prefer. To the headlight switch or an auxillary switch or whatever else. We put a thin bead of caulk to seal the lights down to the roof better and to be sure they were water tight. Took us about an hour and a half nd savethe $65/hr.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:36 AM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do a search on "Clearance Lamps" by "jnellydodge" .....i was going to install some clearance lamps as well but im too chicken-**** to drill into my roof. If you have the ***** to do this, from what people posted on that thread above i dont think its too terribly difficult, just be patient and take your time. If/when you install them, let me know how it went for you if you dont mind...actually save you some time here is that thread i talked about above:

https://dodgeforum.com/m_370664/mpag.../tm.htm#370664

hope this helps!!

Old 04-11-2006, 11:01 PM
4DrMopar
Captain

WTF, dude, 3 hours labor is CHEAP considering all the headaches you COULD get.....I did mine and it probobally tokot hat long, plus allthe time i keep finding drilling slivers, oh, USE A UNIBIT to drillthe roof holes, NOT a regular drill bit!!!!!!!

Old 04-11-2006, 11:05 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

theres already pre-drilled holes for the lights?? is that just for the wires to run down or for the screws to hold it down too?? i think the hard part will be getting the lights lined up straight and not look goofy.. i dunno i bought the lights for 70 bucks and im not sure about spending 200 bucks in labor if i can do it myself

Old 04-11-2006, 11:07 PM
4DrMopar
Captain

If you didnt buy a factory Dodge kit or get a roof template, your in for a long time guessing, the factory kits come witha full size paper template that tapes to your roof and you drill where the "x"s are....

Old 04-12-2006, 12:52 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

the holes are for the wiresm just screw the screws into the roof when you have the lights straight. Its really not hard get a buddy that can stand infront of the truck to tell you when they look even and a tape measure to double check everything.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:19 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

sounds good.. i guess i'll give it a shot tomorrow while its nice out.. and i'll get a friend who can see straight.. now this one didnt come with a template.. i wish though! that wouldof made it 10 times easier but i'll just lay all 5 out on the roof to start with and get them straight.. then mark all the holes

Quick Reply: installing roof cab lights