2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering column clunk?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 11:23 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Steering column clunk?

ORIGINAL: crazykidjj87

i have the same problem. my truck just came back from the dealership with $4000 worth of work that needs to be done. mainly because dealerships like to screw ppl over. they told me i needed a new intermediate shaft. someone on here told me the intermediate shaft was in the front axle between the axle shaft and the CAD or something? i wasnt really following. i guess i should check stuff in the steering then. any ideas on how much a new intermediate shaft is and how hard it is to change?
There is an intermediate shaft (a way different type) in the axle as well. Which one is bad for YOU?

Here is the best replacement intermediate shaft: http://www.pscmotorsports.com/produc...roducts_id=245

And the install instructions: http://dodgeram.info/tech/mods/borgeson/index.html

Old 06-27-2006, 07:19 PM
zoomzoom

The stock steering shaft is the problem. while it probabally would never wear to the point of failure the collapsable design of the shaft causes clunk noise when the two parts of the shaft slide together. applying tourqe or turning the shaft causes a clunk when the two pieces rotated inside each other. the only true fix is the borgenson shaft but i found u need to constantally tightened all the allen bolts on the set screws at the top and bottom of the shaft or it to will clunk. also the steering colum on some rams was wearing at the firewall mounting and clunking. dodge issued a TSB on that that involved some sort of brace plate and stuff to "fix" the clunk. I for one hate any type of clunk or looseness in the steering of any car or truck. the steering system in some cars or trucks has been the reason ive gotten rid of some of my vehicles. i hate trucks that pull or wander and i HATE bump steer. ive pretty much reenginerred the whole steering setup[ on my ram and it is up to my standards now. but it took 8 years to get it how i want it.

Old 06-27-2006, 10:47 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: zoomzoom
dodge issued a TSB on that that involved some sort of brace plate and stuff to "fix" the clunk.
His truck would already have the "brace" zip-tied on it, as it's an '01. The TSB was issued in '97.

I still agree with you though..the shaft is the problem.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:04 AM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

actually My steering box gave me a thunk like that before.

Just another option.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:31 AM
Fiero Guy
Rookie

yeah, mine is still doing it. not so much when turning, just when you apply gas or brake

Its gotten significantly worse, I figure when it gets bad enough it'll be loose enough that the shop can't miss it.

Its to the point now where the guys at work don't like taking it for deliveries because it feels like the front axle is going to fall off.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:01 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 01 has a slight 'clunk' in either the steering shaft or the box when I come to a stop. I'm going to leave it alone for awhile and see if it gets worse or not. You can do some searches on this site and others about the steering shaft. I've seen some people make shims to slide into the overlap joint to snug it back up.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:04 PM
zoomzoom

yeah the shaft clunk can be "Rigged" with pieces of feeler gauge but they do tend to find there way loose and out of the shaft. the borgenson is the better fix but put lock tight on the like 4 lock screw thingies cause if any of them loosen up the clunk will come right back. my clunk now isnt the box or the shaft i really think the lower steering colum is worn or has play. i swore there was a TSB of some sort relating to the steering column and NOT the shaft. all i could find was an outdated TSB saying to changed the column then they changed it to dont touch the column change the shaft. i can not STAND any clunk play or any crap with the steering on any car. its the one thing that i need to be just the way I Like it. ive traded cars in cause the steering was not up to my standards!!! so anyway does anyone know of a TSb for ther column its a 95 2wd 1500 or does anyone know any quick fixes or rigg jobs, Anything really to hold me over untill i find i "real" job!!! right now i wrapped a round type bunngee cord around the lower coloumn whwere the shift linkage rotates around the steering shaft, basically right at the firewall" this rigg job and a half seemed to pin piont the clunk to in the column and it also sorta stopped some of the clunk clunk feeling when hitting bumps and such. i thinking about i junk yard column but the go anywhere from 50 - to like 300 dollars and whose to say that one wouldnt be loose and clunky to. the column is like the only steering ans syspension part that hasnt been upgraded and or replaced with decent aftermarket or factory parts. i love when the aftermarket steps in and makes a real fix for problem areas of vehicles so maybe theres one for this. i do know Fel-pro makes the new pleunum gasket for the intake "total blowout issue" and pepboys sells the whole intake kit fro 34 bucks and let me tell u that 34 bucks fix more problems than any other thing ive ever bought for a car. it took 4 hours in 102 degree heat but man i was happy than no other to slam that gas with the a/c on and no pings no knocks no cloud of whitish blue smoke( i found synthetic burns white and smells weird to!!) there must be 45 million threads on that dumb plenum gasket basically my theroy this one time even if it anit broke change that cheap dollar store paper gasket the hell out, make a day of it take ur time and do it your self for 34 plus a gallon of coolant rather than pay some tech 600 dollars and i bet he can do it in like an hour and ahalf. any dodge tech has had to have done at least 40,0000 of those things. my burning question the 318-360 magnum came out like 93 or so maybe earlier what the hell took them almost 14 years and like 3 revised TSB's for such an easy find and an even cheaper fix. i think ive jumped topics sorry its a bad habit!!!

Quick Reply: Steering column clunk?