2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 ram keeps stalling... i need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 06:17 PM
bansheenut
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 ram keeps stalling... i need help

alright i just got done putting new brake lines on my truck, and bleeding them... now after doing the lines i got inmy truck to move it and it seemed to keep wanting to stall out... so i left it at the shop and today i brang it home and as i was coming home it would stall when i slowed down to go around a corner... so i thught it was just me... so i got home and i was running th truck around the yard... and i slowed down to almost a stop and it stalled on me.... so again i was driving and this time i was backing up and i hit the gas... let off rolled forward a little and t shut off on me again.... it did it a few more times... now i have checked the oil and the tranny fluid and it seems to be ok... the check engine light is not on or anything.... now im really confused here... can anyone help me out here... i was thinking maybe bad fuel pump? bad plugs?

and here is some info on the truck for you guys

1994 dodge ram 1500 slt
auto
5.2l 318
119,400 mile
4x4

Old 04-13-2006, 06:35 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain
Default RE: 94 ram keeps stalling... i need help

You basically answered your own question...

Check the plugs first, after you get the truck warmed up the plugs can get hot enough to ignite fuel without actually having a spark (or at least i've seen it done). From the plugs check wires, rotor/dist cap, if they need replaced do so. Next i would run some seafoam throughout the engine and clean the TB. Just take the vacuum line off the brake booster and either pour some seafoam or just stick the hose in the bottle and let it suck about half of it out while the engine is running. Carbon build up may be a problem in the engine, and at lower RPM's make it "stall"... Also it wouldnt hurt to take some seafoam and run it through the crankcase before an oil change (about within 100 miles of needing one)... Also pour some in the tank to help clean those injectors if their dirty.

Try those methods first, if nothing helps then check back with us =)

Old 04-13-2006, 07:17 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

Was it acting like that at all before you did the lines?

Old 04-13-2006, 08:58 PM
bansheenut
Rookie

no it was not doing this before the lines.... and my dad brought up a good point to me... if it was the spark plugs or anything wuldnt it be missfiring like i would know if a cyl wasnt fireing but like this is just like a very low idle... no poping or anything just low iddle into a stall

Old 04-14-2006, 12:03 AM
grandmazer

It almost sounds like the IAC motor isn't working. But this would more than likely be coincidence.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:31 AM
bansheenut
Rookie

idk if this helps.. but it just got colder outside.. dropped under 50... an with the truck being cold and all... it ran perfect... had a good idle, no sign of stalling... when it stalled it was about 70 out and i dont mean to sound like a dumb *** but im new to the truck world and what is a iac motor

Old 04-14-2006, 03:10 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I'd say you probably blead the lines correctly, but I'd do it again. It sounds like to me ( cut off when i was slowing down to... ergo applying the brake pedal) that your booster is trying to hard to maintain proper pressure, and robbing intake manifold vacuum. If this is the case, the truck will run like a scaulded dog until you apply the brake pedal after which it will run like a wounded pig.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:12 AM
bansheenut
Rookie

well i bleed the lines and no air bubbles.... and like i said with the cold temp it ran flawless.. idled good and all... coul dit be the AIT sensor? i tried doing the key thing and no codes came up on my trip meter

Old 04-14-2006, 01:06 PM
bansheenut
Rookie

oh and idk if i made this clear or not but the truck is actually shutting off when it stalls... and i loose power stearing and all that .... im not sure if that plays into the factor

Old 04-14-2006, 04:59 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

1st thing you should do (unless you've done it recently) is pull the throttle body off and clean it. Then i'd check the wiring for the o2 sensor to make sure it's not grounded anywhere since you replace brake lines (unless it's the fronts only, I dont recall which was changed).

The biggest contributor to stalling is the TB and the IAC motor/valve.

If you yank off the TB, look down the intake for oil pooling on the bottom. No oil = good plenum seal. if there is oil pooling (not a thin film, that's normal) then the plenum is leaking...

Quick Reply: 94 ram keeps stalling... i need help