2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

are these stock blocks or has my truck been lifted before?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 05:15 AM
radwebster
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are these stock blocks or has my truck been lifted before?

here's my problem. my truck looks like normal height, so i assume it's never been lifted. but, after installing tires today, i saw some pretty big blocks in the back. are these stock?
i just purchased a top gun customz 3" lift kit, and it comes with 1.5" blocks for the rear. am i supposed to add these blocks to the existing ones? or if not, what do i do?
take a look..

[IMG]local://upfiles/28056/1AA30198F1014E33BE97AD404E4EBAE0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28056/4FBCC6E67CC742BFA4125135D052173C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-14-2006, 06:41 AM
V10
Professional
Default RE: are these stock blocks or has my truck been lifted before?

They look stock to me- factory blocks have that extension for the rubber bump stop. Stacking blocks is always a bad idea.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:15 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

yeah... factory blocks on a 4x4

Old 04-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are the stock blocks, and V10 is right, stacking blocks is a bad idea. Your better choices would be to either get one larger block to achieve the lift or go with an add a leaf. I went with the add a leaf when I lifted the rear of my truck and it worked very well.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:53 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

[sm=youreright.gif]

Old 04-14-2006, 05:22 PM
radwebster
Captain

i called top gun customz, they said it was ok to stack 2 blocks.

Old 04-14-2006, 08:30 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

yeah i wouldn't deal with top gun customz again if they told me that. if they have a really high coefficient of friction then i'd say you'd be "ok" but risking it. see they will shift on each other and possibly slip out. a one block has a lot less chance of doing that. besides you'd be trying to "compress" two different blocks with different material properties (no material is the same no matter what you do or where you get it.. just the nature of the beast) and will therefore perform very much differently.

i'd go out and find a bigger block or fab one up myself.

Old 04-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Stacking blocks is not a very good idea, escpecially if you off-road hard. You might be able to get away with it for a street only truck, but why risk it if you can simply put in an add-a-leaf instead (escpecially since it is only a 3" lift). AAL's are very safe, and only cost $50-$60. It will stiffen up the rear some, but not really that much, no more then how a 2500 feels.

Even going with one big block is not good. The bigger your block size is (either as a single or stacked setup), the more axle wrap you will have. Stacked blocks can twist on top of each other, and put tremendous force on your u-bolts. If they succeed in breaking your u-bolts, or just twisting out completly, very bad things are going to happen next. Also, I have read over on PavementSucks that in some states, it is illegal to stack blocks. In states that inspect lifts, they look for blocks up front (if you have leafs up front), and stacked blocks in the rear, both of these being illegal. Also, many 4x4 clubs have policies that you can't participate if you have either of those two.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:58 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep stacking blocks is a ****ty way to do stuff it has been done without any problems but also has been done and had them slide apart. I'd get an AAL which I think is a much better option anyway. Top Gun Customz is more of a knockoff brand it seems to me anyway so I'm not sure I'd trust their opinion likeI would from Skyjacker. Of course they don't know half the time either.

Quick Reply: are these stock blocks or has my truck been lifted before?