2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Front shock install on 2gen RAM

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 11:01 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Front shock install on 2gen RAM

yeah... i've had to replace the power supply fan, the video card, i've added two hard drives, had to redo windows about five times since i got it.

i hate dell.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:57 AM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: crazy1snow

yeah... i've had to replace the power supply fan, the video card, i've added two hard drives, had to redo windows about five times since i got it.

i hate dell.
Sony Vaio

Anyway to the shocks just take your time and watch out for the brake valve when you take out the drivers side. The way I did mine was to unbolt the bottom first, then loosen the tower bolts till you can use your fingers. Unbolt the top so you can push it down though the tower, take tower off and pull shock out. Putting it back in reverse order. This one took the longest so it was last.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:16 PM
sysengr1
Rookie

Thanks for all the information guys. Huge help, but I was scared for nothin'. Just got the new ones on. They were a piece of cake!!!. I jacked the front up just until the 20's were off the ground, used a large pair of channel locks to hold the upper shock tower and the top came off no prob with a deep socket 18mm. The new Edels were bolted up top with new nut and lock nut and lowered the floor jack slowly until the bottom lined up, bolt in and tightend everything up.

The back ones were the problem, by far....

Old 04-22-2006, 01:36 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

glad to see you didnt wast any more money buy paying some mech to do it... DIY is awesome isnt it!?!??!?

hope you like the eddys... im pissed at Vic myself for my ****ty headers...but thats a different story different thread different day!

Old 04-22-2006, 04:44 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran

Just be sure you tightened those bottem bolts up good. I have had a couple trucks come in with the bushings being pounded out (hot shot trucks, my truck, etc). Found out the last set of shocks were 1/2" impact tight, but not super tight. The lower bushings wore groves into the shock brackets. Gots some metric bolts outta the bolt bin with a fine pitched thread, tapped them through, and as the local dodge stealership advised us, "tighten the **** outta them". The 1/2" impact got them tight, the 3/4" got another half turn weather they liked it or not.

If you dont have a 3/4" impact, get out a breaker bar and one hell of a snipe

I have done all my front shock changeovers with the truck on the ground. Especially when your reefing on a snipe. I hate jack stands, had too many fall over/collapse/ give out.

Old 04-24-2006, 01:54 AM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

the front shocks were ez for me, just a PITA geting stuff lined up and stuffed in, eg: new washers bushing stuff and what not

Old 04-24-2006, 02:07 PM
JustinJohnson86
Captain

ORIGINAL: crazy1snow

i hate dell.
If anyone need computer parts for AT cost, let me know =) I can get any computer part at what it cost CompUSA to get it =)

I'm a lucky bastard hehe

Quick Reply: Front shock install on 2gen RAM