2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

transmission overdrive (cant take out)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 12:59 AM
firedog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission overdrive (cant take out)

I have a 98 1500, just had the transmission rebuilt. When I push the button to take it out of overdrive nothing happens. It was doing this before I had the transmission rebuilt. The light doesn't come on nor does the RPM change. The rebuilder said it was in the switch. Does anybody know about this, how hard to change or just any insight/info on this subject.

Thanks

Old 04-20-2006, 12:50 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: transmission overdrive (cant take out)

When the transmission went out and was rebuilt on my 98' Dakota, it would not go back into overdrive after i got mine back from the tranny shop. Took it back to them and watched them put it up on the lift and tear into it again, checking sensors and all that jazz. They came up with some BS excuse, and i ended up driveing away with the problem. I drove it like that for about 3,000 more miles before more problems started ariseing. Needless to say i got rid of it, but i am curious as to what the problem is, because it sounds like sort of the same problem i had..........when you find something out post back. On mine they checked the O/D switch and it was fine, they checked sensors, couldnt give me an answer. I shoulda taken it to the dealership and had them look at it.........

Old 04-20-2006, 01:01 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Sounds like you need to get a test light and check points from the switch in both directions. If the signal makes it to the trans. they get to take care of it. Would check before taking to anyone. Good to know the answer before they tell you otherwise.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:37 AM
firedog

I figured out what it was. I changed the little push button on the gear selector. I was 18.00 at the dealer. Now I can take it out of overdrive. Woo Hoo.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:52 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Awesome!!![sm=icon_cheers.gif] Someone fixed something around here for under $100. [sm=happy046.gif]

This forum is making me paranoid about my truck. All the issues cause me to look for problems.

Quick Reply: transmission overdrive (cant take out)