2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Poor Acceleration with a 5.9 vs 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 03:16 AM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Poor Acceleration with a 5.9 vs 5.2

Just a shot in the dark but what are the odds its something like clogged fuel injectors or some sort of fuel issue like that ????

Old 04-22-2006, 04:04 AM
livinginh
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kayakman hit it on the head right off. Your tire size will made the most differance. What you need to do is both have the same size tires to do the test correctly.
I am assuming his 245's are stock size tire? So his gearing would truely be 3:55. Your truck should have came with the same size tire. But when you went to a taller tire(more rolling distance), you turned your gear ratio into a higher number, just a guess with out actually figuring it out, you are running closer to a 3:00 gear ratio now. So you will not have the same pull off the line and acceleration. You RPM's on the highway will be much less. You need to be running at least a 4:11 gear ratio to put you back to stock spec's.
Sadly that is where most people go wrong, they like the look of a taller tire, but if they dont change the gearing, they suffer performance and gas mileage. As it is making the motor work(lug) more to do what it originally was able to do with stock set up. I bet you will find nothing plugged up, try swaping his tires and wheels to you truck and do a test run, you will see your power came back.

Old 04-22-2006, 04:13 AM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good idea

Old 04-22-2006, 07:47 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Most all the trucks, 2WD and 4WD come with 3.55 gears and anywhere from 245 to 265 tires. Makes a difference but they aren't going to make but so many standard gear sets from the factory. The off road package with 275 tires jumps to 4.10 gears. If you plan on towing much a 4.10 is good to get from the factory.
It used to be if you got a tow package, trucks automatically came with 4.10-4.11 gears. That was before O/D transmissions. Most of you youngsters might not remember those days of .35 cents a gallon. Cigarettes were the same.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:53 AM
ripto
Captain

ORIGINAL: livinginh

Kayakman hit it on the head right off. Your tire size will made the most differance. What you need to do is both have the same size tires to do the test correctly.
I am assuming his 245's are stock size tire? So his gearing would truely be 3:55. Your truck should have came with the same size tire. But when you went to a taller tire(more rolling distance), you turned your gear ratio into a higher number, just a guess with out actually figuring it out, you are running closer to a 3:00 gear ratio now. So you will not have the same pull off the line and acceleration. You RPM's on the highway will be much less. You need to be running at least a 4:11 gear ratio to put you back to stock spec's.
Sadly that is where most people go wrong, they like the look of a taller tire, but if they dont change the gearing, they suffer performance and gas mileage. As it is making the motor work(lug) more to do what it originally was able to do with stock set up. I bet you will find nothing plugged up, try swaping his tires and wheels to you truck and do a test run, you will see your power came back.
Yeah on both of our doors it says P245/75R16, the tires he is using. I bought my truck with my current tires on them, the LT275/75R16. I know what you mean, I love the bigger tires but didn't know how it would hinder the performance.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:25 PM
ripto
Captain

Your truck should have came with the same size tire. But when you went to a taller tire(more rolling distance), you turned your gear ratio into a higher number
My tires do look bigger than his however when the trucks are side by side, they look to be the exact same height. Are they the same height or is there a slight difference because of the tires? The way I see it the trucks are the same height = same resistance. Could someone explain this to me please?

Old 04-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Bigger tirers are more resistance, but your truck should be a bit higher...wierd though.

My truck seems slower then it should be too, I want to get it on a Dyno just to see if I'm where I should be or if something is really wrong with my truck and I only have like 195 hp or something.

So far I've done exhaust, t-chain, and a tune up, nothing big but I hardly saw a diffrence.

Old 04-22-2006, 07:01 PM
ripto
Captain

So you will not have the same pull off the line and acceleration. You RPM's on the highway will be much less. You need to be running at least a 4:11 gear ratio to put you back to stock spec's.
When you say my rpm's on the highway will be much less, do you mean they should be less if I had 245's everything was working good, or the way its set up now with my 275's. And if my rpm's were running at 2000 on highway, wouldnt that decrease mpg as opposed to my ~1400rpm now.

Also, whats the probability that if I changed tires from 275 -> 245 it would solve my problem?

Should a 5.9 have better acceleration and top speed over a 5.2?

Another thing, how much does the air filter affect this problem?

Old 04-23-2006, 12:30 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

your tires will definately kill peformance, as well as gas milage. re-gear it and it'll be good as new. One thing I couldnt find was what years you were talking about. In 2000 they had 3 cats on some trucks, mine is setup that way and so is the wifes '02 dakota. 3 cats can hurt performance . In 1999, I believe they still had only 1 cat in front of the muffler.

Also as suggested, check your cat. Look at the FAQ at the top of the forum for how to test it.

Old 04-23-2006, 01:53 AM
ripto
Captain

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

your tires will definately kill peformance, as well as gas milage. re-gear it and it'll be good as new. One thing I couldnt find was what years you were talking about. In 2000 they had 3 cats on some trucks, mine is setup that way and so is the wifes '02 dakota. 3 cats can hurt performance . In 1999, I believe they still had only 1 cat in front of the muffler.

Also as suggested, check your cat. Look at the FAQ at the top of the forum for how to test it.
What does re-gearing involve and how much does that roughly cost? I'm not sure what your talking about when you say "One thing I couldnt find was what years you were talking about." I'm not sure how many cats are on my truck but if it helps out any, it seems the rattling noise is coming from underneath the driver seat, does that help in determining how many cats there may be without actually checking, maybe someone knows offhand. Again to be sure, does a clogged air filter have the chance of hurting performance? And some of you have mentioned the difference in tires is the problem, could it truely be that big of a difference, I mean visibly the tires look just about the same, mine are just a little bigger.

Quick Reply: Poor Acceleration with a 5.9 vs 5.2