2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

code 0442

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:19 AM
jalapeenoz
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default code 0442

Couple of days ago I got a cel with a trouble code of 0442. That is a leak in the evap system. I found a hose going into what I believe is the leak detection pump (looking at the 01 service manual) that was partially cracked and fixed it. After resetting the pcm I got the code again. Someone suggested replacing the gas cap which I did with a Mopar cap and reset the pcm. Yesterday the light came on again with the same code showing up again. Has anyone had any experience with this? I don't know much about the evap system. I'm looking for things to check to take care of this without having to take it to a garage or dealer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:36 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: code 0442

Check the lines running to the EVAP canister. It should be mounted on the frame rail under the passenger side of the cab.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:28 PM
jalapeenoz
Professional

I followed the lines going back to the canister and found no leaks, cracks, or holes. Could the canister, or leak detection pump be bad? Are there any filters that need to be changed?

Old 04-22-2006, 03:38 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

i have that same problem with my truck.. the evap codes.. i beleive it might be the canaster they go bad a lot

Old 04-22-2006, 05:00 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: jalapeenoz
I followed the lines going back to the canister and found no leaks, cracks, or holes. Could the canister, or leak detection pump be bad? Are there any filters that need to be changed?
There are no filters. The LDP or the canister could be bad. If a large amount of liquid fuel makes it's way into the canister, it can cause it to fail. I'm guessing you also checked the canister itself for any damage?

I can't say which would be bad. You can tell if the canister has fuel in it by unbolting it and shaking it.

IIRC, the LDP is a common issue for the Ram as well. [>:]

Old 04-22-2006, 06:41 PM
jalapeenoz
Professional

I did not see any damage to the canister, but I didnt unbolt it and shake it. I guess I can try that next. Will it hurt the truck any or affect performance and/or fuel economy if I just leave it the way it is?

Quick Reply: code 0442