2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

voltage regulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 10:17 PM
akdennis1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voltage regulator

OK all you "Gurus", I need some help. I guess the voltage reg is in the computer for a 95 ram 3500. Its the weekend, no computers to be found here in hickville USA. I've heard a voltage regulator can be installed to bypass the computer, but I need some help. HOW WHAT WHERE WHEN & HOW do I do this, please help as I need to be back to work Monday & it's 400 miles from here. Thanks, You guys are my only hope.

dennis

Old 04-23-2006, 01:38 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: voltage regulator

well whats the problem first... how do you know the VR is bad? if the VR is bad .. you might have other issues since is integrated into the PCM.. you can get an exteranal universal VR .. a standard VR is a rectifier and regulator and reducer.. the three R's an Alt produces AC current and the VR rectifies it into DC, it regulates it by restricting the Amperage that the alt can or does produce so it doesnt overload the system, and it reduces the volatage to 14 volts,,, standard voltage that all 12V systems run on..

my question is how do you know your VR is bad? ive NEVER heard JUST the VR going on these trucks/pcm's if your having electrical problems please explain whats going on..

as far as the universal aftermarket VR .. its possbile to install one.. best bet is to go to autozone or something of the sort and ask them what they got as far as VR's.

Quick Reply: voltage regulator