2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone hardwired their radar detector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 11:45 PM
iamjonnyr
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone hardwired their radar detector?

Has anyone on here hardwired their radar detector into their 2nd gen ram?

If so, where and how?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:54 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: anyone hardwired their radar detector?

I did with my old one, with my new one Im using the cigar socket since I like to put it in the glove box when I travel into the city. The best way to do it is to take apart (should be screwed or snapped together) the plug that plugs into the lighter. The wire that leads to the front post (little *** at the very end) is your POS lead. The other wire that goes to the two springs on each side of the plug is your NEG lead. Pretty simple from there, find yourself a switched 12V source (could be from the key switch, or something in the fuze box like the radio) and run into that. Then find a good ground and ground your NEG lead. Test it!

Just for saftey sake, its always a good idea to use a relay when your "hacking" into a pre-exisiting circuit thats already in the truck, like the radio 12V switch circuit. But, since its only a radar detector and they (normally) only draw around 2 to 5 Amps, then you should be fine with out a relay. BUT, if you noticed that the fuze that your hacked into is blowing when you turn on the truck and or radar detector, wire in a relay. Never use a peice of metal or a bigger fuze, even though you have added a larger draw on the pre-existing circuit, that circuit was only desighned for its original amperege draw.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-02-2006, 02:00 AM
dflyboy
Professional

yah i did in my other trucks and will in this one soon.... I just ran the wires down into my dash and hooked it into my Radio fuse in my fusebox so that way it only comes on when the key is on. pretty simple to do with the fuse connector, or you can just take the fuse out put your wires in the hole and shove the fuse back in, they both work.

Old 05-02-2006, 03:48 AM
ebxgsxr
Professional

i just hardwired my valentine one in. i did the same thing where i just ran it down the a pillar and into the radio fuse. with my V1, i also have the remote display which i mounted right above my ashtray.

Old 05-02-2006, 01:03 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Mines hard wired in, kinda. I have it sitting on my dash with velcro and the power cord goes into the molding on the dash. It then plugs into a 4 way connector behind the dash. Can't see ANY wires since its all in the dash and I can still take it and plug it into another cars cig lighter if I need to. Even though I have to take the dash apart to get to it

Old 05-02-2006, 08:30 PM
4DrMopar
Captain

amateurs! lol
jk
I did a of them hardwired as an installed...
on ine, mines in a brackey ABOVE my rear veiw mirror... hard for a cop to see from behind... better veiwof the road and IO tied into teh constant power from the dome light 4 inches away....

Old 05-02-2006, 08:59 PM
iamjonnyr
Rookie

ORIGINAL: mdoffroad

amateurs! lol
jk
I did a of them hardwired as an installed...
on ine, mines in a brackey ABOVE my rear veiw mirror... hard for a cop to see from behind... better veiwof the road and IO tied into teh constant power from the dome light 4 inches away....
mmm... i think i understand what you are trying to say...

I took off that overhead console yesterday, but I didn't have time to figure out which wire was constant power and whatnot

Old 05-02-2006, 09:01 PM
4DrMopar
Captain

I think it wqs pink?? not sure now.. jsut use a test light to see which one always has power whent eh doors are shut

Old 05-03-2006, 04:45 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I really don't care if a po-po sees mine They're not illegal or anything here. Mine is peobably kida hard to see though still.

Old 05-03-2006, 08:34 AM
4DrMopar
Captain

Its not so the PoPo sees it, its the hoodlum down the street, if its hard to see or isnt obvious, then its lesslikly to be stoklen..

Quick Reply: anyone hardwired their radar detector?