2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

IAT Relocation??

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 04:32 PM
jscherencel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IAT Relocation??

I was thinking about moving my IAT to my CAI K&N so I can get a more cooler reading at the sensor. Then plug the hole in the intake. What type of performance can I expect? I know I'll be getting a "honest" reading. But I don't know what will happen when i do that. I really don't want to drill a hole in CAI and then find out that it does nothing. So, any information would be helpfull.

Old 05-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: IAT Relocation??

From what others have said, you will notive a slight power improvement, but your gonna loose MPG

Old 05-08-2006, 01:20 AM
jscherencel

How much performance am I looking at? A couple of horses or double digits? I'm still unsure if its worth it or not.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You may see some performance gains at first, but the IAT is only one sensor in the entire system. It will cause you to run rich at first, giving you more power, but as soon as your pre and or post cat sensors detect that you are rich, they will lean the system back out anyway, so any performance that you might have felt at first will go away.

Also, several people who tried it had the check engine light come on because it made things too rich. It's not going to be a quick/cheap HP giver by no means, if that is what you thought. Probably give you more headaches then it would be worth in my opinion.

Old 05-08-2006, 01:40 PM
mojo
Professional

I have tried moving it and I have tried the cheezy shoving the resistor trick in the IAT and at first there was HP improvement but after the ECM figured out what was going on it over corrected the problem and all my efforts were lost. I have a 98' QuadCab with the 5.9 as well. I have done just about the same mods as you have except for the Hypertech Programer. If I am not mistaken that should have reprogramed your ECM to adjust your IAT for the new Air and Fuel Curves. By hte way how is does the Hypertech work for you? I was thinking of doing that upgrade but I was also thinking of just punching it out to 392 ci. What do you think? Thanks

Old 05-08-2006, 11:38 PM
jscherencel

Well from what you guys have said ... I won't be doing it.

I love my Hypertech. As soon as I had it installed it, I noticed a difference. The new program really woke up my truck after I did all of those mods. I would HIGHly recommend it to anyone with a Ram that has been modified a little. Punching it out would definately put you further up the HP scale faster. I think it all comes down to how much money you have and what you are going to use it for. Work, commuter, off roader, tow'r, or toy.

My only problem now is I have a bad plenum and it's knocking. So I need to fix it. I am wanting to get a Hughes modded Intake Manifold (instead of fixing the plenum), Fastman 52 throttle body, and Edlebrock heads. Then I'll be done with the engine. There will pry be a few odds and ends I'll put into it but that's what I'm saving up for. Buy it and do it all at once. Maybe an electric fan after all is said and done.

Old 05-08-2006, 11:38 PM
jscherencel

Well from what you guys have said ... I won't be doing it.

I love my Hypertech. As soon as I had it installed it, I noticed a difference. The new program really woke up my truck after I did all of those mods. I would HIGHly recommend it to anyone with a Ram that has been modified a little. Punching it out would definately put you further up the HP scale faster. I think it all comes down to how much money you have and what you are going to use it for. Work, commuter, off roader, tow'r, or toy.

My only problem now is I have a bad plenum and it's knocking. So I need to fix it. I am wanting to get a Hughes modded Intake Manifold (instead of fixing the plenum), Fastman 52 throttle body, and Edlebrock heads. Then I'll be done with the engine. There will pry be a few odds and ends I'll put into it but that's what I'm saving up for. Buy it and do it all at once. Maybe an electric fan after all is said and done.

Quick Reply: IAT Relocation??