2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stupid cheap bolts!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 08:37 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid cheap bolts!!

So I took my front driveshaft like a month ago to change the u-joints and I finially put it back on Well I was tightening the front bolts that go through the straps and into the front yoke. Apparently I'm stronger then I though cause I broke of of them[:@] The shaft is still SOLID in there. I wacked it and shook the crap out of it and it didn't budge.

Sooooooooo just wonder if you guys think it'll be okay to drive to work tomarrow (like 7miles round trip...) and then to the dealer on Monday to get new bolts. Not gonna be going on any road trips...just to work, back, then to the dealer and back.

I think it will be fine cause its still really solid but what do you guys think? Obviously I'm not gonna put this off or anything, its just a pain in the *** to take the damn thing out again!

Old 05-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Chopper1
All Star
Default RE: Stupid cheap bolts!!

I would just take it back out until you get the bolt. Not something I would want to take a chance on coming loose. Might as well get two bolts in case you stretched the other. Use a smaller wrench on the second try.

Old 05-21-2006, 09:50 AM
brute98
Professional

I gave it some serious thought and all I can think is.. Don't do it. It could go terribly wrong. If it's really stuck (yoke-to-ujoint), use a tire iron: flat head side against the ujoint and the handle against yoke. Give'r a few whacks she'll come off.

Old 05-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Spike7ss
Veteran

Dont to it

You dont want that flying off and taking out your oil or tranny pan on the highway

[:'(]

Old 05-21-2006, 08:53 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I'm not trying to get it off, I was putting it back on.

Oh, I did it [:'(] Was perfectly fine and its still solid on there. Taking another car the whopping 5 miles round trip tomarrow to get the bolt though.

I would have just took it off if it wasn't raining and 9pm and if I hadn't worked at 7am!

Old 05-22-2006, 08:25 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Good god. $5 for one of those damn bolts.

So today I started drilling out the old bolt thats stuck in there. Got my screw extracter and started unscrewing it. The extracter broke off right in the old bolt!!! [:@] I was using a T bar too like your suppose to, not a ratchet or anything.

Looks like now I'm gonna have to take the hole yoke off and get it out from the back. thank god those holes go all the way through the yoke.

Quick Reply: Stupid cheap bolts!!