2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram 1500

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 12:35 AM
Gatorbate88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Ram 1500

Hello all,

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 with the 5.9l. Currently I have check engine light which led me to a code for a misfire on #5. I have changed the plugs and plug wires since the malfunction occured. I put in OEM plug wires and went with Bosch Platinum +4's (which I recently heard weren't that great for Dodge's like mine) to correct the problem. When I pulled the old plugs #5 wasn't fouled in any way, the same can be said for the rest. The problem appeared to be fixed after doing so. I ran the truck around for awhile and the light was gone as was any hesitation. About 2 days later the light re-appeared and the truck seemed to cavitate when sitting still at a red light in gear (it's an automatic). This time I took the truck into the dealership to find out once again what I had known previously, misfire on #5. They did a compression test on #5 and discovered the pressure to be around 20-25psi. Assuming I had lost a cylinder I was ready to give up. The mechanic suggested I run a Fuel System cleaner through with a tank of gas to see if i had possible carbon build-up on a valve. Once again the problem seemed fixed. With appox. an 1/8th of a tank left to burn the light went out and the truck seemed fine. This time I drove for almost 3 weeks with no indication of a problem. 2 days ago leaving work the light illuminated once again! I pulled the plug on #5 only to find carbon build-up on it. Now I am at a loss. Any information on this matter would be greatly appreaciated. I am hoping that someone (unfortunately) has had this problem before and can offer some insight into the matter.

Thanks,

Sgt. Gaylor

Old 05-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500

Sounds like a fun problem [&:] If theres alot of carnon build up and the fuel cleaner helped a bit I would try some SeaFoam. Thats some good stuff and it will get alot of the carbon out.

Have you ever replaced your plenum gasket cause something has to be causing the build up. I would try the SeaFoam for sure though. Also for fun you could swap that injector out and if the misfire follows that then you know the injector is screwed.

SeaFoam can be found at most parts stores!!! Let is know how it works.

WELCOME TO DODGE FORUM!!!![sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 05-22-2006, 01:07 AM
Gatorbate88

Thanks for the quick reply. Sea Foam? Sounds better than what the dealership said (motor work!) I purchased the truck about 4 months ago so the only real maintenance thus far has been oil changes and what not. I'll swing into Auto Zone tommorow and pick some up. Hopefully I'll have a good post for ya'll in a day or so. Thanks again!!

Sgt. Gaylor

Old 05-22-2006, 01:41 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

I hope so too! Do you know if the plenum gasket has ever been replaced? Just another possibility

Old 05-23-2006, 12:15 AM
Gatorbate88

If it was replaced then it would have been prior to me purchasing it. As for what I know from researching the truck prior to purchase there were no significant maintenance issues ever performed. But I'll keep it in mind!! Also I've read a couple shreds on Spark Plugs, I have the Bosch. But I keep reading about the Autolite's. Any other good choices to run in the 2nd Gen.?

Sgt. Gaylor

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500