2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wierd problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 12:17 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd problem

This one has me stumped. When I switch between reverse and drive and step on the gas again the truck stumbles. It just seems to cut out for about 1/2 a second, then comes back fine. I'll back out of the driveway or a parking spot, put it in drive, apply the gas, and it will rev for a second, cut out for 1/2 second, then come back fine. It happens with light pedal or heavy pedal. It also happens if I am going forward, put it in reverse and apply the gas. I can stop, and apply the gas going in the same direction I was and it does not happen. No codes and the truck runs like a top otherwise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-24-2006, 04:43 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Wierd problem

Have you tried cleaning the TPS?

Did you check out the IAC?

Those are the two items that come to mind with a problem like this.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:01 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

TPS is about 5k miles old. I'm putting an M1 on Friday so I'll clean the IAC, although it's not been all that long since I've done it. I really haven't done anything yet because I can't figure out where to start. Everything I can think to check would make it act that way all the time and not just when going from reverse to forward and visa versa.

Old 05-24-2006, 07:56 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

dirty fuel filter?

Old 05-24-2006, 08:03 PM
Sehr916
Veteran

Check the tranny fluid.

When I was working on the fluid and filter the other day I was low on fluid and I stupidly drove it with not enough fluid and it did that same thing

Old 05-24-2006, 08:07 PM
mopowar
Record Breaker

I put a fuel gauge on it. It reads 49 psi at key on and from 1k rpm up, but at idle the needle flickers. It goes down about 2 psi then back up. It moves back and forth like that real fast, maybe 5 times a second. Anyone know if this is normal?

I will check the fluid again. I just put a converter it in a few weeks ago and checked 3 times after. It was doing this before and after the TC change, but seems to be doing it more consistantly now.

Quick Reply: Wierd problem