2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine dies about 30-45sec after start up

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 11:08 PM
focushere
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies about 30-45sec after start up

The new engine i put in runs sounds strong but when i let it run for about 30-45 sec. it will just die

-he distributer is grounded all the way counterclockwise and when i turn it clockwise even a hair it dies does that mean im its retarded to far?

-should i move the plug wires all back one on the distributer?

i hooked up a timing light but i cannnot see anything on the balancer

im going to take it to the dealeror local shop thayhas the scan tool but i cant drive it like this

Old 05-30-2006, 02:57 PM
gfunkatoa
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine dies about 30-45sec after start up

Carburator or fuel injected? How long did the truck sit waiting for new motor? In my experience if the timing is off enough to let it die, then when it is running it will run like crap. Me thinks you have a fuel issue, either in a filter or in the tank. Keep us posted nand good luck.

Old 05-30-2006, 11:28 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

when you say "new" is it a rebuilt that you put in? really what I mean is who did what to the motor?

You should definately see the light on the crank timing marks, your timing must be way off. did you yank the distributor?

one thing I could suggest is to yank the plugs and start from scratch, find TDC and go thru the distributor install proceedure outlined in the shop manual (found in the merry christmas thread at the top of the forum).

Also check your plug wires to make sure your not 1 off on your cap.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:36 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

some off your vacumm hoses are wrong. even if the distributor is off by one plug it should still stay running. i built a strocker 408 for my dak and it did the same thing. tore down motor and had some rings that did not seat correctly during break in. once those were changed fired right up and kept on running. as far as the balancer not haveing a mark ,should be there. did you build motor or outsidejob? if outside job they should have broke motor in for you. if distributor is off 180 it wont fire but backfire through intake.

Quick Reply: Engine dies about 30-45sec after start up