2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Airraid Throttle body spacer

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 06:37 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Airraid Throttle body spacer

ORIGINAL: vsraptor

COMING SOON! TBR billet fuel injector spacers!

Please elaborate Burning Rom!!!!
It's a joke I came up with a while back I'm usually the first to jump on threads (or people) about throttle body spacers. But I have a secret agenda. I'm trying to drive all the makers out of business so I can introduce my own line of TB spacers [8D] And then a line of fuel injector spacers to compliment them I figure, if people want to create turbulence in their air flow...they might want to have turbulence in their fuel injection as well. And there is also an optional kit to add extra injectors. [8D] That way your V8 can have the fuel efficiency of a V10. Plus every added injector adds 85 horse! Can't beat that! [8D]

And of course they have to be made out of billet. Everyone knows that anything performance is made out of billet aluminum or steel! [8D] It has natual power enhancing abilities [8D]

TB spacers are supposed to create a vortex effect to help mix the fuel and air. BUT the problem is they don't work on any vehicles with throttle bodies, since the fuel is almost always injected directly into the combustion chamber. They're even not very effective on TB injected vehicles, due to the positioning of the injector. They should be called carburetor spacers, since that's all they work with.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:01 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran

Well I guess I am pulling out the thermostat, chip and spacer this weekend.....COOL now I have some REALLY expensive paper weights.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:48 PM
vsraptor
Professional

[sm=boink3.gif]
oh ........ Now where did i put my sign.................!?!?!?!?

Old 06-01-2006, 10:19 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: BradBeyer
Well I guess I am pulling out the thermostat, chip and spacer this weekend.....COOL now I have some REALLY expensive paper weights.
You could leave the thermostat in. There's a chance that it could throw a code. If that happens...yank it out. But otherwise, leave it in. It will still help your motor

Old 06-02-2006, 12:19 AM
ElChango

I know this is a TB spacer discussion, but Rom you have me intrigued?

What is the benefit of adding a different degree thermostat (160,180,185?)?

I also have the V10, only mod is the K&N drop in filter?

Old 06-02-2006, 05:01 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ElChango

I know this is a TB spacer discussion, but Rom you have me intrigued?

What is the benefit of adding a different degree thermostat (160,180,185?)?

I also have the V10, only mod is the K&N drop in filter?
The benefit of a cooler thermostat is just how it seems...it keeps the engine cooler. I know jumping from stock (195) to a 180 doesn't seem like a whole lot...only 15 degrees...but that's a lot to a motor. And a cooler motor will make more power. A cooler motor is also less prone to knock (pre-detonation), which can happen more frequently under load.

Running a cooler thermostat is especially beneficial when you start messing with the timing, as that's a situation when you are most likely to have knock problems...ESPECIALLY under load. I will be switching to a 180 next time I work on my motor (probably this summer..valve cover gaskets are starting to leak [:'(]) for that very reason. The mopar PCM is a mod that adjusts timing, and because of that there's potential for knock while towing heavy loads. I don't tow a lot of heavy stuff, but I like having the option to do so (I bought a V10 2500 after all ).

For a mildly modded motor, or even a stock one, 180 is sufficient. If you want to make more power, or live in a part of the country where it gets really hot a majority of the time (AZ for example), a 160 would probably be a better choice.

The only drawback to running a cooler thermostat, is that your coolant is MUCH cooler in the winter as well........and because of that, your heater doesn't work quite as well as it should. If that's something that applies to you, then you probably shouldn't go lower than 180. I have a drilled 160 t-stat in my Grand Prix, and the temp. needle NEVER leaves the 160 mark (which happens to be the lowest on the stock gauge). That motor runs cool, but the heat was MIA the 1 time I had to drive it during the winter. I drove it 100 miles on the highway that day (when your motor is normally cooler anyway)...I really did miss that heat [8D]

Old 06-02-2006, 01:05 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran

thanks burnin rom....I took out everything last night but the thermostat....it is 180. I did not notice any change in performance...but I hope to in gas mileage

Old 06-03-2006, 01:21 AM
ElChango

Rom, How did you know I live in AZ

I like your advice on running the 160, I am going to have to do that for the summer and switch back to stock on the winter.

Thanks for the detailed explanation

Quick Reply: Airraid Throttle body spacer