2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Drum

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 11:03 AM
ericd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Drum

Hey guys! Well, there has been some whining from my rear wheels so I was going to pull my wheels and brake drum to check and see if my rear seal and bearings needed replaced. But my drum would not budge, not a problem remove the plug from the back and manualy let off the tension from the brake. Wrong there is no plug in the back so I can do this. Any suggestions? My next move is to take it to the dealer and Have them "check" the rear brakes and after they break them free come home and fix it myself.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:48 PM
fiveliterbtr
Veteran
Default RE: Brake Drum

Not 100%, but I'm pretty sure there's 2 "dimples" at the bottom of each backing plate that look like the shape a plug...you're supposed to take a chisel and hammer and punch one thru on each one, then put the rubber plug in there from a hardware kit...of course, once you punch them thru you have to remove the drum to get the piece out so it doesn't tear up your drum and shoes. Big Fu**in' Hammer and some PB Blaster around the hub to drum area.

Now, if there are dimples, which one is it? I can't remember, I work on so many different vehicles I haven't the slightest idea...on my 2500, I'm pretty sure it's the rear ones.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:35 AM
Chopper1
All Star

Just had mine off last month. They were stubborn also. WD-40 around the center and studs, clean of the center crust with a wire brush, let it soak for a while get a big rubber hammer or 2X4 with a regular hammer. Jar it at different angles and it will come loose.

Replaced my rear gears, added a posi, and replaced my axles yesterday. Outer bearing had worn the axle shaft. No noise though.

Also we do have the adjuster plugs in the back. Just as he said, make sure to find the piece and get a rubber plug to keep trash out.
I have 110,000 and the back brakes are still good. Starting to get dry rot cracks in the center. Will change soon.

Old 06-02-2006, 05:12 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

Here's the trick that a lot of the diesel guys use...

1. Block the front wheels.

2. Put the rear axle SECURELY on jack stands.

3. Remove the assembly clips (if still present).

4. Remove all the lug nuts.

5. Remove both tires.

6. Rethread one lug nut on each side just far enough to catch all the threads.

7. Start the truck & put it in reverse.

8. Give it just a little throttle, and STAB the brakes.
The lug nut on each side is a must. If you do this without them, your drums will end up rolling half-way down the street. I've seen it happen before [8D]

Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
ericd

Well, not for sure if I remember seeing any dimples but I'll check it again this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:06 AM
Spike7ss
Veteran

Well, heres how I get stubborn drums off. Quite simple actually. All you need is a good hammer and a big round punch. The bigger the better. I like to use the king pin outta older trucks, etc cause there big and flat on the front and back. You dont want to hit the edge of your drums as you will warp them and cause them to go outta round. But you take your punch and hammer in between the wheel studs. Go from one side to the other than back accross and work your way around. It will seem like its not doing anything but in reality its beating the drum agains the axle and vibrating it loose.

And dont for get, lube is your friend. Doesnt hurt to spray the center down with WD-40, etc.

It will take a bit of grunt to go, but this method hasnt failed me yet. Keep beating and sooner or later you will be home free.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:36 AM
WhiteBuffalo

Also, make sure you don't have the parking brake on....

Old 06-12-2006, 02:42 AM
charlie1935
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a propane torch many times for this. Just heat around the bolt circle, keep the torch moving. When you have it hot usually just a tap with the hammer will pop it off.[sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Quick Reply: Brake Drum