2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 01:46 AM
dgm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Guy

Yeah fortunately this board seems to be overall pretty laid back. Dunno if anyone here ever heard of www.vwvortex.com (I'm a VW/Audi guy for the most part) but it can be a little uptight over there...

Old 06-05-2006, 01:49 AM
Tani1500
Champion

haha yea no problem. heres what the burning rom said in the other thread...

ORIGINAL: The Burning Rom

The 5.9 had an issue with the plenum gasket leaking. The head castings also weren't very good. Some of the members on here could probably fill you in more on those issues.

The transmission issue depends on how well the truck was taken care of. If the fluid & filter were changed regularly, and if the truck wasn't abused (burn-outs, neutral drops, towing with OD turned on, etc.) then the transmission should last quite a while. Mine has 144,000 on it with only a leaky torque converter seal to show for it.

These trucks also suffer from a few steering issues, but if you drove it and it handled well then they're something you don't have to worry about...at least not right now.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:30 PM
dgm

Well, good thing I stuck to my guns on not buying right away.

Lucas Dodge says I was right about the transmission in this truck probably needing work. Their tech heard the same clunk that I did going into 2nd.

Worse yet, he detected an engine knock, and saw that on startup, the oil pressure goes to zero, then comes back. Probable oil sludge problem.

No deal.

Best $100 I ever spent, getting that truck checked out.

Thanks for all your help, folks! Hopefully I can find a better specimen soon...

Old 06-07-2006, 03:20 PM
crazy1snow
Record Breaker

good luck on the search! see it pays to see the mechanic. better to spend $100 than make a $10k mistake.