2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

air gate

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 09:30 PM
motorider228
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air gate

Does anyone have one of those net tail gates? If so does it help mileage at all?

Old 06-12-2006, 05:55 PM
palo35
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: air gate

I heard differing stories on this. One says yes as long as your tailgate has been removed (not laying down). And no, it doesn't do anything. Myth Busters did a series with the tailgate down and acutally lost mileage. This was due to the fact that the air flow coming over the the top of the truck was actually landing on the tail gate causing the vehicle to drag. They did not however, much to my dismay, try the airgate with the tailgate removed from the truck. I noticed a slight increase in MPG with my tailgate removed but not enough to brag about. It could have just been my driving during that week (keeping my foot out of the pedal). If you're not hauling anything, remove your tailgate and see if it helps. If it does then go get an airgate. If not, you have your answer.

Quick Reply: air gate