2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Old school needs help

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 09:02 AM
buddq
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old school needs help

Just bought a 96 Ram 1500 with a 318....old school, don't like liters....I know that in the OLD DAYS it was a great engine, but don't know anything about late models. Kind of a weird looking fuel induction system. Not like the throttle body on a chevy I used to own. So far I like it but the gas mileage could be a lot better. Any ideas on improving mileage, other than a tune up.? Are these the same blocks as the old models? What if anything interchanges? Headers, dual exhaust?
Thanks.....Budd

Old 06-12-2006, 01:13 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Default RE: Old school needs help

They are not the same engines, but kinda close. I *Think* the older models were the "LA" style engines while the newer ones on Rams are the Magnum engines. Not positive though.

Old 06-12-2006, 03:25 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Old school needs help

Pretty much the same blocks. The magnum is based on the LA engine family, and they didn't change much when they when from one to the other. Even the truck V10 and viper V10 are based on the LA family. I know the compression ratio of the 318 changed though, so the pistons on the Magnum motor may be different than the pistons on the LA 318.

Heads wouldn't be interchangeable...older heads wouldn't have injector bosses. Headers may be...but with so many out there on the market, there's no need for them to be. Dual exhaust wouldn't be either...as that's a truck specific item more than a motor specific one....and the trucks are definitely different.

Quick Reply: Old school needs help