2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Purge Flow Fault ----Please advise

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 09:35 PM
fishbone
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purge Flow Fault ----Please advise

Ok, so me and my cousin went to town on my 97 ram 1500 5.2L SLT 4WD this past weekend. We changed the tires, gave it a full tune up and replaced all filters, fluids, plugs, caps, etc.....and also did the exhausting task of replacing the intake manifold gasket. The thing runs sweeeeeeeeeet now and has it's ***** back. No more pinging and no more weak ***** or oil consumption. I also had to change the back o2 sensor as the CEL was on and that was what the codes were popping, so i replaced it. All was good from Saturday to last night when the CEL came on again. Man was i pissed when i saw that light come on---all that work and the light is coming back on.

Anyway, i went to Autozone and pulled the codes to see it's the EVAP Emission Control System Purge Flow Fault. I do not know what this is exactly, but i checked my gas cap, disconnected the battery for a few to reset the CEL and the light came back on again. Can someone please tell me what a purge flow fault exactly is, what i should do to correct the problem, and if i should be flipping on my cousin for doing a ****ty job replacing the intake manifold gasket?

We cleaned off everything really good and sprayed everything down, being sure to not have gotten anything in the manifold. Should i just go to autozone and reset the CEL with their scanner, or is this potentially a serious problem?

Thanks.

J

Old 06-13-2006, 10:21 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: Purge Flow Fault ----Please advise

More likely the EVAP system wasn't hooked back up correctly and is leaking somewhere. [&:]

Old 06-13-2006, 10:32 PM
brute98
Professional

I got that same code on my Neon (RIP). It had to do with the pump in the EVAP system. I'm not sure where it's located on the truck, but check the EVAP canisters under the passenger side for damage, check the wires and follow the lines to the pump. Tape can patch a leak because it's not a high-pressure system, but it could also be a block.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:25 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for a loose hose. I had a code like that and it turned out to just be a loose hose on my throttle body. Fixed it and the code never came back.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:02 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

My 1st thought is that you have a evap canister or some blockage somewhere. maybe a pinched vacuum line or purge line off the evap canister... look for a pinched vacuum line.

Old 06-15-2006, 01:39 AM
fishbone

This problem has been solved. When you spend a few hours ripping apart the manifold, you anticipate putting it back together and driving it again. With that being said, it's very easy to put the selonoid on upside down and having the vacuum line going through the wrong hole. Hahahaha, oh man......It took me about an hour under the hood to realize that. ridiculous, but easily mistakable. Don't ever do this...it's idiotic.

Quick Reply: Purge Flow Fault ----Please advise