2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 12:08 AM
Brouillard
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny synthetic oil

I just bought a 96 RAM 4X4 EXT CAB about 89K miles or 143KM, run like a charm.
I just called the best Tranny shop in town to get oil,filter and adjust the band change in the tranny. I asked if he recommend putting synthetic oil. To my surprise he said it was a waste of money.
Does it make that much of a difference? I really believe in synthetic for the engine but I'm not not sure about the tranny. If you guys tell me it is good I'll go for it.
He also told me that he wouldn't bother changing the oil in the torque, what do you guys think? [&:]

Old 06-24-2006, 02:56 PM
sstgonzo
Professional
Default RE: Tranny synthetic oil

Two words Royal Purple.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:43 PM
ElChango

I agree with gonzo,

I recall seeing TrucksTv where stacey did a dyno run b4 & after with dyno oil and full synthetic oils on all components (Motor, Tranny, Diff) and it showed a nice increase.

Plus think of it this way, Synthetic has better cleaning agents and has better lubrication properties.

I think it's worth the money.

Old 06-25-2006, 02:24 AM
556fmj
Professional

agreed. They say heat is what kills transmissions, and that's partly true. Heat kills the fluid in transmissions (lubrication and cleaning properties), which in turn, kills transmissions. The synthetics are able to keep the lubrication and cleaning properties far and beyond better than the conventionals, and keep transmissions alive longer. The trans shop may have mentioned that is was a waste of time because your particular trans is right in the window for going bad, so it would be a shame spending 200 bucks on trans fluid, and having it crap the bed anyway. I don't know why they would say that. Maybe ask for an explanation next time...??

Old 06-25-2006, 03:48 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

2 more words.. Vavoline Synthetic ATF+4.. well thats more then 2 words... but whatever

ive always trusted vavoline products and they are in all my vehicles... that tranny guy is an idiot... any synthetic (decent brand that is..like vavoline or royal purple) fluid is going to be superior to a dino fluid... thats why its designed that way!

Old 06-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Brouillard

Thanks guys.
Should I flush the torque also? Or just the basic oil, filter change?

Old 06-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Vavoline Synthetic ATF+4 is now available at your local Autozone.

Just changed mine this week. Re-used the factory gasket. Added a trans. cooler while at it. Drained all day while in pool with the kids. Drained a gallon and a half of fluid out.

Saw where someone recommended pulling the spring out of the check valve and the ball would follow. Did not happen!! After screwing around with it for an hour, I finally put a section of 3/8" hose that came with the cooler in it's place. The check valve was easy to check though. Took fitting loose, applied pressure with a small srewdriver, and had smooth movement. Once the spring was out, there was no choice but to replace.

Morale to this. If it's working OK leave it alone. If you want the check valve out as I did, don't try to get the ball out. It will just elevate the frustration level.......Change the hose out...

Quick Reply: Tranny synthetic oil