2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MANY QUESTIONS NEED ANSWERS

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 10:44 PM
slic vic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MANY QUESTIONS NEED ANSWERS

THE BEST: SPARK PLUGS
SPARK PLUG WIRES
IGNITION WIRES
COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEM
EXHAUST SYSTEM
WHATS SOME MORE WAYS TO IMPROVE GAS MILEAGE?

FOR A 1999 DODGE RAM 1500 V8 5.2L

I REALLY NEED A LOT OF HELP BECAUSE I'M GETTING 9 MPG. IT SUCKS!!!!

Old 06-30-2006, 11:26 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker
Default RE: MANY QUESTIONS NEED ANSWERS

First tip...turn the caps lock off. It makes things harder to read

Secondly, you're driving a second generation Ram. Your mileage is not going to be that great. It should be better than 9 during city driving, but not much better than 11 or 12...15 or MAYBE 16 highway.

Spark plugs: Champion TRUCK Plugs or Autolite Platinums

Spark plug/ignition wires: Accel

Cold Air Intake: K&N FIPK Gen. II

Exhaust system: Not really gonna help your mpg much at all. Headers would help a little. Gibson or JBA.

OTHER WAYS: Fastman throttle body (www.thefastman.com), check your plenum gasket and make sure it's not leaking, swap out your transmission fluid and differential fluids for full synthetics (Royal Purple, Amsoil).

The biggest way to save fuel is to adjust your driving habbits. Don't accelerate hard. Drive in such a way that you use your brakes as LITTLE as possible. Don't make short trips. It's hard on gas and hard on your truck.

Old 07-01-2006, 02:06 AM
jager

[sm=goodidea.gif]
Im sorry but I agree... especially about the part where you use the brakes as little as possible!!!hahahaha!!! [sm=roll.gif]

The only way your gonna increase MPG is to change your driving habits(lay off the pedal)
regear, or change tire size! Most of the products out there are just a marketing scam... kindo' like people who buy a pill that someone says they lost 35 lbs in 2 weeks. I know you've heard them before... so you try it, and it doesn't work... but necessity makes you beleive that it works because you want it too soo badly!
Then reality hits, and you finally accept the truth... gas milage is the same as it was before... I guess I must bedriving a truck with a v8 that is not a rice burner... there fore...[sm=americanasmiley.gif]
In my opinion, you got what you got!

Old 07-01-2006, 08:55 PM
slic vic

hey thanks a lot you really helped.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:18 PM
slic vic

I heard of two other types of brands but there more pricy. Jacobs and Taylor. What have you guys heard about them???

Old 07-02-2006, 07:02 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

everyone says your going to get ****ty mileage with a second gen, thats not true

my dad has a 97 ram 1500 with the 5.9, he gets 17mpg highway/city combined, its not what you drive necessarily, but how you drive it, for the most part he babies it, and it shows in his gas mileage

Old 07-02-2006, 09:51 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

There are ALOT of factors in gas milage. I have a MagnaFlow cat back, I replaced my t-chain and I have the APS Plenum w/Fel-Pro gaksets new on my truck. My tranny and diff fluids are new within 10k miles and my air filter is 15k old, also with a 10k old Cat. I BABY this thing like theres no tomarrow. When I accelerate, I don't even hit 2k before it shifts, I'm really easy on it. I still get most of the time less then 10 mpg city...its a good thing I really don't drive alot.

I'm just saying theres alot of factors in MPG. I'm kinda conviced that theres some ailment I haven't found with my truck hurting power/mpg. Maybe my fuel presure is to low and is zapping power (also zapping mpg), maybe I have a bunch of carbon built up ( I need to run Morap Combustion Chamber Cleaner), or maybe my air filter is already clagged. It sucks, but I love my truck and since I don't drive alot it doesn't cost me as much as it could!

Old 07-03-2006, 03:39 AM
slic vic

Thnx for the advice guys

Old 08-01-2006, 06:09 PM
redhotram

I have owned my 95 ram 4x2 since 99 and the first 5 years 8 - 10 mpg was tops then out of the blue check engine light came on and we replaced the egr valve then it jumped to 13 - 14 for a year My mechanic has no idea why this made a huge difference then i added a k&n filter and Royal Purple 5w30 and averaging 16.5-17 it blew me away. and I have babied this truck since I have owned it keeping all filters and fluid changed regularly 155,000 never had a valve cover off of it

Old 08-01-2006, 11:30 PM
Fubba
Professional

slic vic
IMO, Taylor Thundervolt wires are some of the best you can get. I have Taylor's on my built 71 Corvette.

Quick Reply: MANY QUESTIONS NEED ANSWERS